Best Solution For Second Building

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-14 11:34:31
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I'm hoping someone can advise please.

I have a 1GBPS WAN link and a hard wired EAP225 outdoor AP that provides signal to a second building. I run Omada in a docker on a server on my LAN. This is fine for most purposes (min speed 50mbps) but I want a much faster connection throughout (500mbps+). I have tried using a mesh network with two indoor EAP225s installed in the second building, but speeds are poor.

I had looked at CPE710 point to point but I can't find any stock in the UK at the moment. The second building has a boiler house and plan would be to have a 867mbps PtP link then run cabled EAP225 indoor access points from there.

Can anyone think of any other options or is PtP the way to go? Could I use another outdoor EAP225 for PtP, for example?

Thanks

tooner

Options
3 Reply
Re:Best Solution For Second Building
2023-02-15 07:18:33

@tooner 

To be honest, the speed could be halved by losses or obstructive interference in large extent as the network is extended over long distances.

Unless you can use total wired connection to achieve the purpose of extending network rather than wireless.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-04 15:07:10

@tooner 

Hi tooner,

It seems you're looking for advice regarding improving the connection speed between two buildings using an EAP225 Outdoor AP. You've considered using a mesh network with two indoor EAP225s but experienced poor speeds.

If the CPE710 point-to-point (PtP) option is not available in the UK at the moment, you're wondering if there are any alternative solutions or if using another outdoor EAP225 for PtP could be a viable option.

One suggestion is to explore high-gain directional antennas for your existing EAP225 Outdoor AP. Upgrading the antennas can help enhance the signal strength and reach between the buildings, potentially improving the connection speed.

Additionally, you may consider researching other PtP wireless bridge devices that are available in the UK market as alternatives to the CPE710. These devices are specifically designed for long-range, high-speed connections between buildings.

It's also worth reaching out to the TP-Link support team directly or checking their best solution official forums for additional recommendations tailored to your specific setup and requirements.

I hope this helps, and I wish you success in finding a suitable solution to improve your connection speeds.

Options
2023-06-05 18:05:30

@tooner 

Ugh, more ChatGPT babble above...

You can do pt-pt with anothe outdoor 225.  You'll be limited to the max modulation rate of 867Mbps by these devices, with real world throughput likely close to the 400-500Mbps range.  You can improve the link performance by preventing any user SSID appearing on the 5.8Ghz radios (disable all SSIDs on 5.8G for the outdoor meshed pair), and by ensuring you choose a channel with the highest permissible EIRP (output power) in your region.  IIRC in the UK you are rather constrained by DFS (radar avoidance), but you might find a suitable channel that isn't too noisy.  For instance channels 149-165 are limited to 200mW, but you may find that preferable to 1000mW but with DFS if the antennas have a good line of sight, and the local radio interference is low.  You can google WLAN Channel List Wikipedia for more detail.

If you need more capacity, you could consider a pair of 6-series outdoor APs (EAP610 outdoor is the successor to the 225's) which seems to be available, though at a price! from Amazon.co.uk.  That will improve your link capacity and your effective 'goodput'.

As you are likely aware, you can use the remote AP's ethernet port like a bridge, and all device connected directly or via a switch, will appear as though connected to the same switchport that the wired AP is. 

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 408

Replies: 3

Related Articles