R605 (omada) issues all over.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-17 19:27:49
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi.

(New on the block)

2 months ago I thought I'd leave my Asus 68 and change my router to a wired one since I have 4 APs and don't need a wireless router.

Also I wanted a modern and stable platform with 4G backup.

Now I wasn't really prepared for basic issues and I need to know if this is standard or if I have some special features.

This is my list of issues:

- webinterface works almost never, not locally not remote, nothing. It just loads forever: "opening". 

- reboot always makes the failover take over as primary.

- NAT (portforwarding) is quite bad, lots of intermittent issues.

- VPN just stopped working one day

Now I have used a few versions of Cisco, ASUS, Netgear routers. None have been this unwilling to work "smoothly".

So what is the problem here? Is the firmware this bad?

My setup is currently: 

100Mbit FTTH fiber

Locally admin R605. (not omada, latest release)

Cisco WLC + 4 APs.

Cisco 2960X switch

Netgear switch

Tnx.

Greg

Options
8 Reply
Re:R605 (omada) issues all over.
2022-12-17 19:58:42

GregZaaa wrote

So what is the problem here? Is the firmware this bad?

@GregZaaa 

the short answer is YES, TP-Link has never made the routers work, I have most of them and they all have nasty bugs, I use them privately mostly for fun but it's not something I would sell to my customers . then I would probably have lost many customers :-)

but I know about all the problems and as I said have had a lot of fun with all the bugs and problems, the best router so far is the ER8411, it has some bugs but I have found ways to solve this so it works quite well.
If you are familiar with Cisco, I would recommend the fpr1010-asa-k9 to you, it is a good firewall at a reasonable price. comes with 75 AnyConnect VPN licenses if you need VPN

Options
2022-12-18 14:13:25

@shberge Thanks for your input! 

That sounds horrible.

I have not used TP-link for more than power lines so far but this sounds upsettingly bad.

I would have to consider a new vendor. With 4G backup.

Options
2022-12-18 14:30:27

@GregZaaa 

TP-Link has many exciting solutions in the Omada SDN platform, but they haven't quite got the routers right yet, there are so many errors on these that you should choose something else if you want something that is stable over time. I like the solution and live with all the errors, but only for private use, I think for sure they will be able to fix this, but it will probably take some time.

as for your problems, I don't recommend https in stand alone, http works better when you have to manage the router, VPN has been a lot of problems for me, but it works now, I mostly use site to site vpn, there I have ER605v1 and v2, both in stand alone and controller managed.

there are rumors of a major upgrade of the routers soon, I hope they manage to fix the worst bugs this time.

NAT with dual wan I think probably doesn't work so well. tested this a while ago but it was just a mess

Options
2022-12-19 13:23:47

@GregZaaa 

Gonna play devils advocate here... I have a few 605 out in the wild at remote offices with no issues.  But they're all connected to the Omada controller though.  

To log into the GUI are you using chrome? Firefox?  Edge?  

You may want to connect your devices to SNMP and Log Server so you can get more details from your hardware.  This doesn't sound right, especially with your router rebooting all the time.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-12-20 07:52:34

@GregZaaa 

I've running an ER605 for more than one year and it works great for me. But the difference is that I don't really use the Link Backup function.

I feel like all of your issues are coming from Link Backup, the router may switch the WAN incorrectly and make the VPN/port forwarding stop working etc.

Simple way to test if it is related to Link backup, is just unplug the 4G backup WAN, and monitor if the problem still persist.

Options
2022-12-29 22:10:26 - last edited 2022-12-29 22:11:07

Thanks all for input.

I've tried multiple browsers without any effect.

I've tried removing and re-entering config, reboot, removal of 3/4G modem, and so on.

My issues are;

Client l2tp-vpn not working.

portforward/NAT not working.

4G backup not working

GUI flakey as hell.

my conclusion is that the product is a "fugazi"

far worse than my ASUS from 2006 with merlin.

I will have to get rid of it as it is a hassle and thorn in my side.

cheers!

Options
2022-12-30 03:34:26

@GregZaaa what firmware version are you on? The web UI getting stuck "loading" was a very heavily reported issue a while back and was fixed in a previous firmware version. That one may be easily solvable if you can upgrade.

Options
2022-12-30 08:21:53

@dsj 

using the latest available per December.

Do not recall which version it is.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 888

Replies: 8

Related Articles