Private DNS conflict.

Private DNS conflict.

Private DNS conflict.
Private DNS conflict.
Sunday
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm having a problem with private DNS. I have verified that it is not the service provider by replacing the network with Google Wi-Fi with my service. I have also tried using a LTE router and Wi-Fi and I'm not experiencing the problem with either of those. This isolates it to the tp-link Deco Wi-Fi system in my home.

A little background... 

I currently set up parental profiles to deny internet access to TVs, phones, tablets, smart screens, etc. On my kids phones we use family link by Google to control the apps and time our kids use their phones.  We also use covenant eyes which has a VPN to filter content on our children's phones. We have used covenant eyes for over a year and haven't haven't had a problem with DNS issues until last week. 

I have an X60 as a main on the main floor of the house, one X60 wireless mesh connected for the laundry room and garage on the main floor, two wired X60's (Ethernet to coax) in the basement.

The problem...

We are getting pop-ups on devices with covenant eyes that says that the private DNS needs to be disabled or turned off. The use of family link requires that the private DNS to be set to automatic and will not let you save in the off position or to set your own domain name. This is typically not a problem as we can use other Wi-Fi like I explained above while I was troubleshooting. The pop-ups render your phone useless until you have to turn off Wi-Fi the Deco provides. 

What I've done so far...

I have removed all parental controls from The Deco app and I've tried changing the DNS. I was using the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I am now using openDNS. Still experiencing the same issues.  I am about to delete my network and try to start over which I don't want to do because of the massive amount devices I would need to resetup. 

Any ideas?

Options