Unstable MLO with Pixel 8 Pro and other wifi stability issues.

2024-08-25 20:51:12 - last edited 2024-09-08 18:54:37
Model: Archer BE11000 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20240626 rel.70932(5553)

I just bought an Archer BE11000 Pro as it was on sale and seemed to be potentially more future proof than the Archer BE550.   I've had several WiFi stability issues since I installed it though:

- Pixel 8 Pro will work for a short time on MLO but will then stop working saying there is no internet connection.   Disabling and reenabling WiFi on the Pixel was needed to get it to work.   Ended up going back to using the 2.4/5.0 SSID.

- On all channels, there seems to be periods of extreme slowness, causing browsing to time out.  

- Several devices in the house can not connect to the 2.4/5.0 SSID if the Security mode is set to WPA2/WPA3-personal transistional.   They will only work if the Security mode is downgraded to WPA2 only.  However, that means the WPA3 devices in my house are not able to take advantage of the newer spec.

- Random devices around the house report no internet connection until they are restarted.

I noticed the BE550/BE9300 archers just got a new firmware (1.0.11 build 20240807) that include release notes that make it seem it might fix some of the issues I'm seeing.  Is there an equivalent build for the BE11000 Pro I can try?  Or should I return the BE11000 Pro and get a BE550 instead?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Unstable MLO with Pixel 8 Pro and other wifi stability issues.
2024-09-04 10:02:05 - last edited 2024-09-08 18:54:37

@stenerali 

Happy to inform you that the Archer BE11000 Pro has already received new official firmware recently with a lot of new features that you will likely be interested in, including EasyMesh in AP Mode, ECO Mode, Third-Party Built-in VPN Servers, and more.

It's suggested to check this thread for more details and update your device firmware:

Archer BE11000 Pro New Software Introduces EasyMesh in AP Mode, Third-Party Built-in VPN Servers

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-09-08 18:50:28

@Kevin_Z thanks for the reply.  I decided to give the Archer BE11000 Pro another go after giving back a BE550 when I found it's only dual band Wifi 7 (5ghz + 6ghz) even though packaging and marketing says otherwise (https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/661358).  

The BE11000 Pro I have now is on the firmware you mentioned (1.1.0).  It is having the same issues as before:

- MLO network unstable

- Google Pixel Pro 8 has intermittent connection problems on standard 2.4, 5 and 6ghz ssid's - when in Wifi 7 (802.11be) mode

I see other threads for similar routers that describe the same thing https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/665496. 

The BE550 on firmware 1.0.11 was a lot more stable for the Google Pixel 8 Pro out of the box (wifi 7 mode on), although MLO was still a problem.  Wifi7 worked on standalone bands well.

On the BE11000 Pro, I have found that disabling 802.11be on all bands via the Tether app and turning off MLO (effectively making it a Wifi 6E) router, has stabilized it greatly.   The google pixel 8 pro now connects in wifi 6 mode and seems more responsive, especially after periods of inactivity.

This seems ot back up the theory that if the BE11000 Pro received the same wireless update that BE550/800's received, as noted by these release note bullet points:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-be550/#Firmware
1. Updated wireless firmware to fix related instability issues.
2. Fixed the MLO disconnection issue with the Samsung S24U and other similar WiFi 7 clients.

It would bring the BE11000 Pro more in parity with these other devices in the same parity.  I'm hoping this is in the pipeline and is just delayed because it is a newer model, but must share a lot of the same chipsets and software as the others in the same family.

The Google Pixel 8 Pro is my only Wifi 7 device so far, but i'm really hoping I'll be able to use the router to it's fullest in the future.

Options
2024-09-09 06:18:35

@stenerali 

Thank you very much for the detailed information. We appreciate it.

I would like to gather more details about the issue to understand it better:

1. Which devices are reporting no internet connection until they are restarted? What are the wireless settings on the BE11000 Pro at that time?

2. You mentioned that disabling 802.11be on all bands and turning off MLO on the BE11000 Pro stabilizes the connection. Does this apply to all devices or just the Google Pixel Pro 8?

In your initial post, you mentioned that 'Several devices in the house can not connect to the 2.4/5.0 SSID if the Security mode is set to WPA2/WPA3-personal transistional.   They will only work if the Security mode is downgraded to WPA2 only.  However, that means the WPA3 devices in my house are not able to take advantage of the newer spec.' I assume this may be more related to the devices themselves. Please check if there are any newer versions available for the devices' OS and update it.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-09-09 06:24:27

@stenerali 

I noticed that you previously submitted a ticket and discussed this issue with our support engineers, but the case was closed after you mentioned returning the BE11000 Pro and purchasing the BE550.

If you would like to investigate the issue further with the engineers, we can reopen the ticket. Please let me know how you’d like to proceed. Thank you!

Options
2024-09-09 20:40:08

@Kevin_Z 

| 1. Which devices are reporting no internet connection until they are restarted? What are the wireless settings on the BE11000 Pro at that time?

Disregard this.  It has not been noticed since the 1.1.0 update.  It was Google Nest Hub 2nd generations.  I can't remember settings.

|  You mentioned that disabling 802.11be on all bands and turning off MLO on the BE11000 Pro stabilizes the connection. Does this apply to all devices or just the Google Pixel Pro 8?

Yes, it is only the Pixel 8 having the this Wifi 7 issue and is inline with the same issue reported here but not resolved https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/665496

Several devices in the house can not connect to the 2.4/5.0 SSID if the Security mode is set to WPA2/WPA3-personal transistional.   They will only work if the Security mode is downgraded to WPA2 only. 

You can disregard this one.  It is confirmed as an issue with the client device (tesla wall charger), not the router ( teslamotorsclub . com /tmc/threads/gen-3-wall-charger-wpa2-wpa3-compatibility-issue.237001/)

| If you would like to investigate the issue further with the engineers, we can reopen the ticket. Please let me know how you’d like to proceed. Thank you!

Feel free to reopen the ticket if it helps get this resolved faster for everyone's benefit.  

Options
2024-09-10 02:31:58

@stenerali 

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

I have escalated your case to our support engineers again and asked them to follow up. Please keep an eye on case ID TKID240854430 for further discussions with the engineering team.

Options
Sunday

@stenerali I ended up in this forum to see if others are having problems with WiFi 7 and Pixel 8 / 8 PRO. 

I have a UniFi system running WiFi 7 i'm having similar issues using WiFi 7.  The speeds are not as expected and MLO not working as expected. I can only get about 600 Mbps down on WiFi 7 and around 800 Mbps down with MLO enabled. If i'm on WiFi 6E (ISP modem) I can get 1.5 Gbps down which is my max internet speed.  My Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 7 both are able to reach 1.5 Gbps on my UniFi 7 PRO AP, using WiFi 6E.  I suspect that the Pixel 8's don't have a great WiFi 7 implementation, I really hope it will improve on the Pixel 8's  when Android 15 comes out (hopefully) on October 15th.

Options