A7 Access Point mode questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-11 13:12:06
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20210125 rel.39623(5553)

Hey everyone!

So I'm a little confused. I bought the AC1750 Archer A7 thinking that I could set it up as a WI-FI extender to my existing network and use the ports on the back for hardwired connectivity. I had read that with AP mode, that my wireless devices could auto-connect to the new AP automatically as long as the SSID was the same.

Here's my setup:

- main router is Netgear Nighthawk R7000P connected to Spectrum modem, running DHCP server for all clients, with WI-FI and main SSID

- TP-Link A7 is connected with ethernet cable from its Internet port to a standard ethernet port on back of Netgear router

- TP-Link A7 is configured for AP mode, with an IP address outside of the DHCP range on the Netgear

- DHCP server is turned off on A7

- SSID & password is the same on the A7 as the existing SSID on Netgear

Is this configuration correct? Some docs I found say it is, others state that I have to have a different SSID. If I do, that's fine, I'm used to that because I had a Netgear WI-FI extender that HAD to have a separate SSID. The problem with that was my devices kept jumping between the extender and the main router, which caused problems every now and then, so I replaced it with the A7.

We live in a 2-story house and unfortunately, the main Netgear router has to be placed to the back bedroom where the Spectrum line comes in. I do believe that this does cause some WI-FI headaches, so that is why I originally went with Netgear extender to give more coverage on the 1st floor and basement, but we've been have connectivity issues where devices wouldn't connect to the extender on the 1st floor and wanted to connect to the main router on the 2nd floor, and vice-versa.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Larry

Options
1 Reply
Re:A7 Access Point mode questions
2022-10-11 16:26:06

@Beavisrulz,

Youre setup is correct, and that is the way i would set mine up. You can use either the same or different SSID, as your network and phones should be able to determine that they are different connections. If the SSID is the same, there may be settings on your NETGEAR router for APs specifically. Some of these settings can drastically improve how well your phone roams between the connections. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 750

Replies: 1

Related Articles