Using Nano TL-WR702N in Bridge mode as an extender: “Connected, no internet”

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-19 15:15:12 - last edited 2022-05-20 22:44:38
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 4.18.96 Build 140729 Rel.58334n

NB:  The "model" seleceted is not what I have.  But I had to choose something to complete the post.

I have a TP-LINK TC-W7960 primary router that I am trying to extend with a TP-LINK Nano router (TL-WR702N).  I have the nano set up in Bridge mode.  I went through the setup wizard and rebooted.  It has a very strong signal and connects to the TC-WR7960 but echoes “Connected, no internet”.  This only appears to be the case for my smart phone; my Windows 10 laptop connects fine.

Within my available AP list, I have chosen to “Forget” the nano, and then reconnected but the same problem occurs:  “Connected, no internet”.  I have also rebooted my phone; same result.

What’s the most likely problem?  I need to get this resolved.

Also, can someone please point to a link to obtain the latest firmware for the TL-WR702N ?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Using Nano TL-WR702N in Bridge mode as an extender: “Connected, no internet”
2022-05-20 11:55:05

Hello @MoreCowbell 

It seems this WR702N is a quite old model, and there is no newer firmware for that, you can check this website:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wr702n/#Firmware

If bridge mode doesn't work properly, you could try Repeater mode:

https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-WR702N_V1_UG.pdf

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Using Nano TL-WR702N in Bridge mode as an extender: “Connected, no internet”
2022-05-20 21:14:00 - last edited 2022-05-20 22:44:15

Thanks for your response Kevin.  

Yes, the TL-WR702N is a few years old.  It has been upgraded by the TL-WR802N which hast twice the boost at 300Mbps.  However, the TL-WR702N should work fine for my purposes.

Since my post and your response, I discovered a firmware upgrade link for the TL-WR702N on my own:

TL-WR702N_V1_160302_US          Published Date: 2016-03-21

https://www.tp-link.com/no/support/download/tl-wr702n/#Firmware

I applied the upgrade and re-established my settings.

To suggest that the Repeater mode (vs. Bridge mode) may solve the issue I reported is speculations, at best.  Since my initial post, I can now tell you that my phone (Moto G7 Power) does connect with Internet but the connection is less tenacious than that by my Windows 10 laptop.  The laptop holds the connection (with Internet) tenaciously.  The phone, for mysterious reasons, is less so.  At random times, and maybe depending where I am in the house, it transitions from ‘Not connected’, to ‘Connected, no Internet’, to ‘Connected’.

I wanted to attach a PowerPoint file with screen shots of my settings but this forum does not allow attachments.  I believe all settings are optimal.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 423

Replies: 2

Related Articles