To WIFI or Not To WIFI, Apparently that's the routers question!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-08 15:45:22
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(5553)

Last night we had some 60 mph winds run thru the area so I shut everything down as the UPS doesn't really do all that great at extented run time.  This morning when I brought up the main system that, until today, had been hardwired to the AX11000, it no longer sees the hardwired cable.  It made me log into one of the wireless ports on the AX11000 before I could get online.  Nothing changed overnight unless we have gremlins here.   And, for some strange reason, now connects using WIFI that does NOT exist in the system at all (it contains no WIFI cards or adapters), unless Dell hid one somewhere and didn't document it.  The network icon on the task bar is a WIFI icon, not the hardwired icon that has been there since installation of the router 2, maybe 3, months ago.  Any thoughts?  Another strange thing, download speeds that has been runnning 1.5 to 3 megs per connection now run at 5 to 7 megs per connection.  So I guess I leave it...

Robert D. Weaver Heyburn, ID 83336-7674 (208) 731-6760 bob@mail5.us
Options
1 Reply
Re:To WIFI or Not To WIFI, Apparently that's the routers question!
2020-09-08 17:03:39

@britsoft 

Well, this could be a W10 problem as they occasionally mess up the Systray Icon, but it doesn't sound like it?

First, Dell does usuallty include a Wireless card but it is built-in, antennea seen, and usually enabled by default. So you need to find out if you are indeed using Wireless.

First look at your Network Connection on the PC, this is from my Dell XPS that does have a Dell wireless card ini it that I DON'T use:

The Red Box is where you see this, using the lower Yellow box to get to it via the Control Panel.

Now this PC has  an Enthernet Connection (second from lett) that I don't use so I disabled it. The Yellow box to the right of it IS the Dell card which I do not use either so I disabled it. The Green box is my connection.

Now once you get to this screen, hopefully you'll find TWO devices ENABLED. A wired one and wireless. If so, so some reason, the wireless connected either first or after the wired cable and stopped it from working.

Also, if you use the MOBILE App Thether, it will show you the SSID the PC is connected too.

If you find you are INDEED connected wireless, waht I'd do is first REBOOT the PC and see what happens. If this is the old Windows bug that displays the wrong Internet Icon, that might fix it. If it doesn't, If it doesn't connect Wired them, verified by using Tether, then it is a different problem? Possibly a bad wired card or cable.

Give the above a try and report back what you find?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 586

Replies: 1

Related Articles