Poorly connection speeds, tried several modes and configs

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hello. I have Internet connection from AT&T at 1 Gbps, coming in a modem/router model BGW-320. I live in a two-story home of about 3400 sqft. Using only the wifi from the main router I can get wifi speeds of about 400-500 Mbps which is pretty good. But I don't have total coverage, especially in the backyard.

So, to solve the issue I have a Deco Mesh network that I've been using but still could not figure out a good way to configure that for both good speeds and good coverage.

I have tried Router and AP modes, moved the units around a lot, and tried to hard wire the units when possible.

My units: 1xS4, 1xM4R (both with Ethernet ports), and 3x wifi only M3W.

What I've tried recently:

Router mode: ISP in port forward => M4R hard wired => S4 hard wired => M3W units via wifi spread in several different ways. Results: max about 200-300 Mbps when close to the hard wired units, M3W seem not to help a lot (or nothing). Connection in the backyard is very poor, even when I put the wifi units very close to it.

AP mode: ISP => M4R and S4 => M3W units via wifi spread in several different ways. Note that here I'm using the two hard wired units connected directly to the ISP router, not to each other. Results: Even poor connection, the S4 shows as Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet and the M3W units are totally offline in the app.

Is it normal the hard wired non main unit to show as wifi in this second configuration? Any ideas of what could I do differently?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Poorly connection speeds, tried several modes and configs
2 weeks ago

@Educlaro 

In AP mode, it is allowed to plug the satellite Decos to the ISP modem.  Hence it is strange that the satellite Deco S4 shows as Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet.  Does it behave the same when plugging the S4 into the M4R?

About the wifi speed: I believe wifi at 200-300 Mbps is a good result with those Deco models.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@yves_b thanks for replying. No, when I put it in router mode and connect the M4R and the S4 in series instead of both to the ISP router, then the S4 shows as Ethernet:

6e2685cbbfbe46268de7b9bd8dfd6890

Options
2 weeks ago

@Educlaro  What do you see in AP mode and connecting the M4R and the S4 in series?

Options
2 weeks ago

@yves_b they show as Ethernet. I guess the "Wifi" status when the S4 is wired to the ISP router instead of to the other wired unit (M4R) may be normal, as if it is saying "this unit is communicating IN THE MESH NETWORK via wifi", despite it is communicating to the ISP router via cable. The main issue when I tried the AP mode was there was no way I could get the wifi-only units (m3W) connected. They were all totally off the network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 131

Replies: 4

Related Articles