USB drive configuration help needed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-22 14:37:23
Tags: #USB
Model: Archer AX10000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.4

I connected a WD external USB drive to the router and the router sees it as WD My Book(G:) but the Windows 10 Pro PC sees it as a media device TP-Share. It does not appear in file manager for me to access for anything. I would like to do backups to it but can't figure out how to access it. Any help is appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:USB drive configuration help needed
2024-03-22 22:27:19

Hey @Dark_Helmet,

The media server and file servers are technically different technologies. After connecting the drive, make sure that you have gone through the settings on your router and enabled both "secure sharing" along with the "Samba for Windows" options. This is to prevent your devices/files from being accessible to all devices on the network when first connected.

You can find an FAQ on the topic here: How to Access USB Storage of Archer Router on a Windows PC

Options
Re:USB drive configuration help needed
2024-03-23 13:05:55 - last edited 2024-03-23 13:16:33

@Riley_S

Edit: While looking for solutions the TP_Share appeared in file manager. Thanks for the help.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I still can not access the USB drive on the router. I don't want the secure connection but samba is active on the router. I activated smb 1 on the PC but no luck. I then activated smb 2 but still no luck. when I enter smb:router_IP a window pops up stating "You will need a new app to open this link". and offers to search the MS store. Searching the store finds nothing. So once again I am stuck. The link you provided is for Windows 7 but I'm sure the steps hold true for Windows 10.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 197

Replies: 2

Tags

USB
Related Articles