Significant speed issues on the Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-06 14:15:45
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I have been researching this since I had my Eero - I recently bought the XE75 Pro hoping to see a significant jump in Wifi speeds.  For reference I have Fios 1gig internet - from my Verizon modem I am running a Cat 7 cable to my Deco that I am using as a router.  All things off and standing a few feet from the router/gateway Deco I am seeing 300mbs -- something seems off to me.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any trouble shooting recommendations.  I contacted support and they basically said that is the expectation which if that is the case I will be returning these.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Significant speed issues on the Wifi
2023-03-06 19:40:38

@JTof0023 

The router is a big factor in wireless speeds, but not the only factor.  When you upgrade a router that is more capable or has higher throughput than the previous router but your speeds don't increase it usually indicates that another factor is at play.  

One of the main factors is the network adapter on or built into your client device.  This adapter could have physical limitations making it impossible to get above the speeds you are seeing.  You would want to check the specifications on the client's network adapter and see if needs to be upgraded (if possible) or if its just a limitation of the hardware.  Also, consider having the newest version of something doesn't always mean better.  For example, the Apple Macbook 2022 version actually reduced the network card to a 2x2 antenna configuration down from the previous year's 3x3 card.  Something like that can affect speeds, especially at a distance. 

Another thing to look at is the linkrate at which the client is connected to the router at.  Your Internet speeds is anywhere between 50% and 80% of the connection rate in most situations.  So if your link rate is say 400 Mbps, 300 Mbps would be 75% and in that range. 

There are several more factors that could affect the speed and why but i doubt you want to read a novel so lets do this.  Please provide as much details as you can, including the type of clients getting poor speeds, The year they were made so we can look up the specs and any features you have enabled,  The community can then go to work and get you an answer and hopefully a resolution.  

Options
2023-03-06 20:45:41

@Carl Thank you so much for the detailed reply.  I'll do my best to lay everything out - please let me know anything specific that I leave out that is needed.

My modem or client (I think) is from Verizon (so maybe its more the OTN??) -- it was installed in 2019.  Here is what I believe to be the model - Arris ONT1000GI4-FTR Modem For Verizon Fios Optic.  I still have my Eero 6 Pros because for some reason there is no Speed Test on the Deco app that will allow me to see what speed is coming into the router from the modem.  I hooked up my Eero and it is only getting around 660 from the modem - which is about 300mbs less than what Verizon is sending to it.  So there seems to be a drop off in that regard.  I am running a CAT7 cable from the modem/OTN (not sure what it is) -- directly to the gateway Deco (eero Pro).  I am getting maybe around 350mbs down from that on my iPhone 14 Pro Max using the Ookla Speedtest App [no other devices connected] -- I've tested numerous different servers all pretty consistent in terms of download speeds.  I've made some adjustments to the Deco network in the app including changing the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and turned off the SIG ALG and UPNP per some other suggestions I found.

I also test from my 2022 Macbook Pro using Fast.com and Speedtest.com -- I ordered an ethernet to USBC to test the wired speeds to the router to confrim.

What else can I provide to help?  This type of stuff is far outside my area of expertise so please let me know what information can be missing so I can help.

Options
2023-03-07 17:36:46

@JTof0023 

Thank you.

Client/Client Devices are any devices that connect to the network.  Phones, laptops, TVs, Smart Devices, that sort of thing.  

Arris ONT1000GI4-FTR:  This is an ONT, basically the modem for Fiber connections.  Per some pictures, it doesn't appear to be a gateway which would be a modem/router combo device, so that is good.

You mention you are still using the Eero system.  Is this in conjunction with the Deco XE75 Pro?  If so are you using the Deco or the Eero as the main device connect to your ONT? I was not sure about this point in your response.  If the Eero is the main device what mode is the Deco in, AP or Router? 

BTW the speed test was removed from Deco because it was not providing accurate information. Last I heard they were working with the provider to ensure accurate results before it can be added back. in the meantime, you can connect directly to the main Deco running a speed test to get accurate results at the Base unit, which is what that speed test would provide. 

Options
2023-03-07 19:57:08

@Carl apologies for being unclear. When I have my Deco set up as I do currently the Eero is not in use. I just plugged it in as a gateway/router to test the speed from ONT to it. Other than I am just using the Deco devices. So current set up is ONT -> Deco Mesh. Around the house we have 2 fire stick sticks connected to the network. 2 cell phones, blink camera system, ring system, 3 iPads, my Mac laptop, 5 echo devices and I think that might be all. When I test the wifi speed from iPhone I make sure it's the only one on the network. 

Options
2023-03-08 17:59:19

@JTof0023 

Thanks for clearing that up.  That helps as I now know Double NAT is not a factor.  So a few questions then:

• Do you know the wired network speeds from the main Deco?
  • Do you know which node you are connected to when you test on your iPhone?
  • How far from the node are you?
  • What model is your iPhone, and what iOS is it using?
  • What firmware is loaded on your Deco?

Options
2023-03-09 01:51:38

@JTof0023 same issue here. I just replaced a first gen Google mesh with the x75 pro. The speeds are highly variable. I will have two laptops next to each other in the room with the main router, and one gets 400 megabits, the other 68. Then I reboot the network, and the PCs in the exact same location flip their speeds.

Comcast came out on a different topic, and he suggested returning the tp-link and going with the eero. Seriously considering it.

Options
2023-03-09 13:35:18

@Carl I should know the wired speeds soon. I needed an adapter for my computer. 

when I test I always connect to the gateway and ensure I am the only device on the network. I'm using an IPhone 14 pro max with the latest OS 16.3.1. I'm on 1.0.2 for the deco firmware. 

I tested it again last night and it was 310mbs on the 5ghz network. 

Options