Device not connecting to the closest DECO router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-19 22:36:32

Hi I have a DECO wifi mesh system. I have some wifi cameras at home too. For one specific camera it’s super close to one of the router, when camera is connected to that router it’s super fast and easy to view my video. But sometimes somehow the camera would connect to the far away router , which is very annoying and then I’d have trouble connecting to my camera and viewing my video. Is there a way to fix it manually so my camera always connect to that closest and fastest router???

Options
8 Reply
Re:Device not connecting to the closest DECO router
2023-01-20 17:15:26

@Averageguy99,

The newest update to Decos has actually been addign this feature; would recommend taking a look at the FAQ and the applicable models here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3480/ 

The feature is rolling out in firmware updates to Deco models, so make sure that the nodes in your network are listed under the drop down of applicable models.

Options
2023-01-20 18:23:18 - last edited 2023-01-20 18:35:15

@Riley_S I"m using the XE200 which is on the list, but i do not see the option of Connection Preference in my app, and it's showing i'm using the latest firmware too

any insights?

Options
2023-01-20 18:54:10
Options
2023-01-20 19:00:52

@Averageguy99,

What other Deco units do you have in your network? Many of the connection preference settings and signal sources selection require the firmware for all deco units to be on a 1.6+ firmware version. This version is being rolled out to previous deco nodes as we speak, with new devices seemingly to receive the update every week. 

If you have an older deco on the network, the settings will disappear because the satellite nodes, without the 1.6 firmware, do not know how to manage the connection and send the traffic to a specific node. Its unfortunate but is a result of how mesh networks work, without the technology on all nodes, the non-supported nodes would attempt to steal the connection when the device is roaming between nodes and cause further issues.

This feature was just released in the last month or two, so I would expect to see more widespread support for the feature soon.

Options
2023-01-21 00:06:07 - last edited 2023-01-21 00:06:32

@Riley_S I have 4 deco XE200 in the network. I bought all of them together. All of them are showing they are 1.6 version when I read the barcode label. 
but as you can see my firmware is 1.0 and it's not pushing the new version to me? 

do you know anyway I can solve this? 

Options
2023-01-21 00:52:53

@Averageguy99,

The updates are pushed gradually, but I feel like you should have received it by now. An update may not be pushed if your device has issues connecting to the TP-Link cloud. You could try changing the DNS server being used as this is normally the recommendation; however, you can download the firmware from the support site and upgrade the firmware manually through the web interface.

You have to download the firmware from the support site for the XE200, however, it appears as though the firmware has not yet been uploaded to the site. I will look into this and see If I can get it posted ASAP for you.

Options
2023-01-21 01:29:22

@Riley_S yes. I tried to download it manually but it's not available. Do you know which DNS address we should be changing to to try this? Is there a post or instruction for this? 
thank you so much 

Options
2023-01-23 17:18:10 - last edited 2023-01-23 23:09:38

@Averageguy99;

Here is an FAQ on how to do so: Changing your DNS Settings on Deco

It does not matter what server you change to, it is just recommended that you change to one that is more widely supported across regions such as Googles or Cloudflare. There are many options out there, with some DNS servers working as a potential web filter. Our engineering teams are currently on holiday, so it may be a few days before the firmware is updated. Also, make sure that you are attempting to change the connection of the client device, rather than the connection between Deco nodes. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1367

Replies: 8

Related Articles