Giving Unique name to wifi bands

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-14 17:27:09

I have / had numerous TP-Link wireless devices of the past umpteen years and my computers will usually fail before the TP-Link do. We currently have three TL-PA8010P Powerline adapters and have TP-Link cards in our old WinBox as well as our even older macPro. That info should help explain why I'm here.

We recently had Sprectrum internet installed and they included their SAC2V1A (Commscope?) wifi router. Two problems with it. First I'm too cheap to pay the $5/month rental. Second, since there's no way to separately name the two bands, some of my kit won't connect. So far, the Archer C7 seems to be getting highest reviews across the boards so that's the unit I'm interested in getting. A long way to go to get to my question, eh?

Can one name the 2.4Ghz band with one name, and the 5Ghz band with another? Part of the problem may be the spectrum unit won't broadcast on 2.4Ghz 802.11n, but I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Giving Unique name to wifi bands
2021-03-14 17:52:08

@LilBro3 

You can use different SSID names provided you have Smart Connect turned off.

As you look at routers such as the C7, you can go to the TP Link website and review the router. On of the options on the support page is Emulators which allows you see what options are available that you can set. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/

Options
2021-03-15 00:14:37

@LilBro3

First, let me state I have Spectrum and THEY DO NOT charge Rentals on Modems. May for Routers, but that is because they supply 'wireless' usage which is what you pay the monthly fee for.

Also there IS a manual for your device, https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/RAC2V1A%20Arris%20Wave%202.pdf

You might want to look at it.

From it:

=============

Configuring the Wireless NetworkPerform the following steps to make the basic configuration settings for the wireless network.Enabling or Disabling the Wireless Network. By default, the router is shipped with a default Wi-Fi network name and Wi-Fi password for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, as well as WPA2 security.You can find this network name and password on the label on the back of your router.Perform the following steps to disable or re-enable the wireless network.1.Access and sign in to the configuration interface.2.Click the Basic Setup tab.3.Click theEnable SSID checkbox in either the Wireless 2.4 GHz section or the Wireless 5 GHz section to enable wireless networking for that frequency.4.Click Apply.

=============

Might also want to look at section " Changing the Default Wi-Fi Network Name (SSID) and Password "

Also look on P. 52 about Band Steering, called Smart Connect by most other vendors of routers. TURN IT OFF....

As for 'paying' monthly or buying your own router. Think about 'damage'. Spectrum WILL replace the h/w if damaged. Living in Fl. lightning IS a problem, both on the lines for electricity AND the Internet. I was told by Spectrum NOT to use a Surge Protector either, especially on the cable line as it will degrafe service.

You DO have a lot more control of your own router. I do have and Archer A20, and it is ON a UPS Power Supply. Modem, nope, I use Spectrum's. Even if you buy your own, you have little control, as far as UPDATES go at least.

My Home Owner's Association has a bulk contract with Spectrum. In that we get many items, one is a router or router/modem. I still have my own router. And yes, I've lost modems over the years to electrical surges. I learned to use USP's.

Options
2021-03-15 22:47:27
So why is there clearly a charge on our bill of $5 for wireless? And when I try to access the wireless router none of the set up options function.
Options
2021-03-15 22:54:07

@IrvSp 

So, where does one change the settings?

Options
2021-03-15 23:57:33

LilBro3 wrote

@IrvSp 

So, where does one change the settings?

@LilBro3 

Don't know, I don't have that router. Seems you need to log into MySpectrum on the web to 'manage' it. I wouldn't think so?

Either read the manual and see how to log into the router, and then change the Wifi settings and turn off the Band Sharing, OR call Spectrum. If you use Spectrum's home phone, just dial 611 and ask for Internet Technical Support.

Options
2021-03-16 02:12:12 - last edited 2021-03-16 02:25:11

@IrvSp FYI - The manual is worthless as I cannot log into the router. It throws me to that stupid QR code. When I run it on my phone, everything is locked down.Frontier must have given spectrum lessons in customer care.

As I said in my first post, it's a RAC2V1A 802.11ac Wave 2 Router, built either by ARRIS or Commscope, I can't tell which.

Options
2021-03-16 12:48:06

LilBro3 wrote

@IrvSp FYI - The manual is worthless as I cannot log into the router. It throws me to that stupid QR code. When I run it on my phone, everything is locked down.Frontier must have given spectrum lessons in customer care.

As I said in my first post, it's a RAC2V1A 802.11ac Wave 2 Router, built either by ARRIS or Commscope, I can't tell which.

@LilBro3 

My link was to that manual. Can't get into it, NO SUPRISE... Spectrum in its infinite wisdom has LOCKED DOWN newer modems and devices. I used to be able to use 192.168.100.1 to enter the modem and see all the modem information, logs, power settings, firmware date and version, etc. I couldn't change any settings all modems are under the control of Spectrum. However I now have a newer Technicolor modem, can not get into it at all.

So, you have some choices to make.

• Buy another modem, all have at least 2 bands, and most do have Smart Connect too if you want to use it. All will allow you to modify settings to suit your needs.
  • Call Spectrum Support and have them CHANGE the router to do what you want.

This is not an issue to be covered here. This is a TP-Link forum, and not everyone has Spectrum or your router. Even a Spectrum forum (Google to locate some) may not be able to assist.

Want to know which router to buy, you can ask, but you need to first specify what you NEED. There are speeds (N, AC, AX) that can help narrow down the choices, and home size too.

Best thing to do, find some place local that you can return the router to without a re-stocking fee. Give it a try. Don't like it, return it.

That RAC2V1A according to the manual show allow you to enter it. Since you tried it seems the correct way, it is clearly locked. However, as the manual states, Spectrum does have REMOTE ACCESS.

So the choice is yours to make. You know best what you need.

Options
2021-03-16 13:55:56

Spectrum has a list of modems you can use:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network/

Some may be Gateways which are a combo modem and router.

I personally prefer two separate devices (a modem and a router). The ISP will have control over the modem or gateway to some extent. With a separate router, you have total control and by being separate, an extra layer of security, easier to isolate issues, and more options for your network. If you should move and get a different ISP, you may or may not need to get a new modem, but most likely you can use the same router.

Over time, the cost of renting will exceed the cost of purchase. You do lose a bit of support from your ISP.

I recommend you get a separate modem with lots of room to grow (a higher speed tier). Although, I now have 200 service, I got a Motorola MB8600 that will handle at least 1G tier back when I had only 100 service. I also wanted the most up and down ports/channels (32x8) I could get. My ISP, Comcast/Xfinity is currently giving me 32x3 service. My old modem had only 4 channels and was at "end of life" per Xfinity which means that they are not going to support it much longer. It should be a long time before I outgrow my current modem so my cost is spread out over more years.

Your router selection now opens up to many more options and features including Mesh systems. Depending on your needs you may want one that has a VPN, USB for a disk drive/printers, allows Time Machine if you have Apple PC, better for gaming, better for distance, higher speeds (AC or AX), more Ethernet ports, Mesh, Port forwarding, number of bands, beam forming, MU-MIMO, size, and so on.    

And like IrvSp said Buy from a place where you can return if it does not work for you.

Options