WiFi Extender with Tapo Cameras

a week ago - last edited Wednesday
Model: Tapo C402  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.17

Recently got a set of the C402 cameras with the H200 Hub, setup cameras without issue but after putting them up I found one has almost no connection and another is very weak. 

I'm unable to move the router so decided to use a range extender to fill the gap in coverage but I'm unable to find where to connect/change these two cameras to a network. The extender is working as it should and I'm getting good signal where the cameras are now.

Everything I was able to find looking into it prior shows I can use an extender for cameras but I'm unable to find anything to explain this. Am I missing something or overlooking a setting somewhere?

Any help or information is much appreciated.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WiFi Extender with Tapo Cameras-Solution

@DChapo 

Please double-check the model of your camera. The Tapo C402 uses 2.4GHz WiFi, it does not require a hub.

Suppose it is a Tapo C420 KIT, they're the TP-Link SubGHz devices and connect to each other with a different wireless frequency instead of the standard 2.4GHz WiFi.

Tapo C420 connects to the hub via SubGHz, hub connects to router via 2.4GHz WiFi or ethernet. If the camera signal is weak, please move the hub closer to the camera. The range extender can be placed between the hub and the router to make sure the hub can receive a stable network signal.

Introduce TP-Link SubGHz Technology

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:WiFi Extender with Tapo Cameras-Solution

@DChapo 

Please double-check the model of your camera. The Tapo C402 uses 2.4GHz WiFi, it does not require a hub.

Suppose it is a Tapo C420 KIT, they're the TP-Link SubGHz devices and connect to each other with a different wireless frequency instead of the standard 2.4GHz WiFi.

Tapo C420 connects to the hub via SubGHz, hub connects to router via 2.4GHz WiFi or ethernet. If the camera signal is weak, please move the hub closer to the camera. The range extender can be placed between the hub and the router to make sure the hub can receive a stable network signal.

Introduce TP-Link SubGHz Technology

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:WiFi Extender with Tapo Cameras
Wednesday

@Wayne-TP It must of been the C420 cause it was a kit of the H200 hub and 4 cameras. All the googling I did was tell me to use an extender but in hindsight it might of meant it for the hub not the cameras.

I moved the Hub more central to all of the cameras positions after switching it to the WiFi and they are all connecting properly now, albeit at lower quality for a couple but it's still plenty sufficient. 

Thank you for clearing that up for me, it makes a lot more sense now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 115

Replies: 2

Related Articles