Votes

Motion detection works (alarm works) but only the first time sends a notification

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Motion detection works (alarm works) but only the first time sends a notification

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-31 19:27:48 - last edited 2023-08-17 09:10:08
Tags: #Motion Detection #Notification
Model: Tapo C110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have two Tapo C110 cameras. It seems the app limits the frequency of notifications. If I wave my hand in front of the camera, it will send a notification. If I wait a few seconds and wave my hand again, there is no notification. It seems like I have to wait some amount of time before another notification can be sent. If I enable the alarm function, the camera will sound and flash the lights but no notification is received.

If the app is deliberately limiting the number of notifications, I think it would be better if the minimum time between notifications should be a user configurable parameter. I personally would like one every 10 seconds at least.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Motion detection works (alarm works) but only the first time sends a notification
2023-08-01 07:13:38

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
We have not limited the number of notifications for the Tapo cam. About the problem you report, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.

1. On the Tapo app>Camera Settings page>Detection & Alerts>Activity Notifications, please describe your notification settings. And please help check what detection you have selected on the Detection & Alerts page.

2. On the Tapo app>Home page>Message icon, can you see the notifications for all detected events?

3. If the camera is connected to an NVR/NAS, please disconnect it from the NVR/NAS and then check if the notification feature will work fine.

4. How long have you waited between the first and second motion events and then no notification for the second motion event?

Best Regards

Options
Re:Motion detection works (alarm works) but only the first time sends a notification
2023-08-01 14:05:25

@Solla-topee

1. On the Tapo app>Camera Settings page>Detection & Alerts>Activity Notifications, please describe your notification settings. And please help check what detection you have selected on the Detection & Alerts page.

2. On the Tapo app>Home page>Message icon, can you see the notifications for all detected events?

Yes, but it misses many events. If I enable the alarm, the alarm maybe goes off 10 times, but for example I will get only 3 notifications, so 7 noticiations are missing.

3. If the camera is connected to an NVR/NAS, please disconnect it from the NVR/NAS and then check if the notification feature will work fine.

It's not connected to either an NVR or a NAS.

4. How long have you waited between the first and second motion events and then no notification for the second motion event?

I made a short video, you can watch it here.

Thanks

Options
2023-08-02 09:38:28

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
Thank you for the update and video. From the shared video, I find the time of the notification seems earlier than the time displayed on your phone, please go to the Camera Settings page to check if the camera selected the correct time zone.
And please go to the camera's Live View page to check if the camera shows the correct time and date.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-13 18:21:42 - last edited 2023-08-13 20:04:59

@Solla-topee Well spotted. I had time auto-update disabled which caused the incorrect time. I have already corrected that, but of course that makes no difference to this problem because the problem was also happening on my other Android device that had time and date auto-update turned on.

I have just been doing more testing. I have tested with two Andrdoid phones, and ensured every possible setting that might prevent notifications getting through was configured to be as permissive as possible. I have also tested both using my Wi-Fi and mobile data (this didn't make any difference). I have tested with three cameras: two Tapo C110 and one Tapo C210. The notification problem happened with all phones, both Wi-Fi and data, and with all three cameras.

Here is a video of my test. I move around in front of the camera, which causes the camera alarm to be triggered fairly reliably (albeit with a small delay some times), but notifications are only arrive once every 60 seconds approximately (I actually measure the time in the video).

I disconnected the fiber optic cable from the back of my router and the notifications didn't work at all, which means the notifications service relies on TP-LINK's servers.

Interestingly, when a notification arrives, it arrives to both of my phones at exactly the same time, so it seems either (a) the cameras are deliberately waiting 60 seconds between notifications, or (b) TP-LINK servers are deliberately waiting 60 seconds between notifications. Either way this seems deliberate, otherwise why would it take 60 seconds always and not some times 60, some times 15, some times 35, etc?

I think this is a server side problem. I think TP-LINK deliberately limits the frequency of notifications to 1 every 60 seconds to reduce server traffic and therefore costs. I have no idea if this will get worse over time, as it's possible TP-LINK might decide to increase this time to 120 seconds to save more money.

In the following screen capture, you can see the last notification was received at 21:34, but the notification message says motion was detected 14 minutes earlier at 21:20. This means the camera sent out the notification, but TP-LINK's server didn't push it until 14 minutes later, so it does seem it is the server that's limiting the number of notifications:

Luckily, after a period of inactivity the first notification is usually pushed immediately, so at least an intrusion would not go unnoticed, but ideally this needs to be more transparent and more configurable. Users should be able to know the value of, and adjust, the frequency of notifications. I have one camera pointed at a door that I would like to get notifications at least once every 20 seconds. However, I have another camera pointed at my cat door and I only need notifications once every 5 minutes because some times my cat likes to sit around the door and that triggers motion notifications that are not necessary.

Options
2023-08-17 09:52:32

@RandyAndy 

Hi, 
Thank you for your detailed information and tests. We have done several tests with the Tapo C210 and also confirmed the information with the development department:
1) Without Tapo Care service, usually, the same type of notification arrives once every 60 seconds even if several of the same type events are detected within one minute. For example, if there are two motions detected within one minute, then only the first detected motion will have a notification sent. 

2) With the Tapo Care service, the notification of the detected event relates to the generated video clip. For example, a motion notification will be sent when a new video clip starts to be generated, but if there are several motion events in a video clip, you will only receive one motion-detected notification.

Thank you for your valuable feedback here and for your feature request to show and adjust the frequency to receive the notifications for different cameras, I'll log it and forward it to the related team to evaluate, and we will continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible.
Thank you for your understanding and continued support.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-17 10:28:46

@Solla-topee Thank you for confirming. It really helps to understand how the product works behind the scenes. The default 1 minute interval is probably adequate when the goal of using the camera is to detect intrusions, since the first motion is always triggeres a notification. Some users will welcome a slightly shorter interval (I think maybe 30 seconds should be ok) but this has to be assessed by TP-Link/Tapo as it would increase bandwith usage and server load. On the other hand, being able to set longer intervals (e.g. up to 5 minutes) could be very useful for users who use the camera to monitor less critical events such as a pet cat entering a property.

Options
2023-08-17 10:49:59

@RandyAndy 

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback again, and I'll forward your inquiry to the related team for evaluation.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1126

Replies: 7

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.

Tags

Motion Detection
Notification