Having trouble setting up HS103 Smart Plugs

Saturday
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: Unknown - as supplied

I have got as far as being able to control HS103s individually from my iPad using the KASA app by connecting via the an HS103's WiFi signal but have not been able to control them via my main Router. I saw somewhere that the smart plugs will only work via a password-protected link, but this doesn't appear to be necessary when working between an iPad and an HS103's individual WiFi.

The operational connection to a number of HS103s is presumably using a main WiFi Router link to the plugs, but I have not seen anywhere in the set-up process where the plugs are given the Router's password.

Any advise as to how  tp proceed would be appreciated.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Having trouble setting up HS103 Smart Plugs
Yesterday

@itma 

How did you configure this smart plug to the Kasa app? The smart plug WiFi is used for configuration only during the setup process, this helps the app to find the smart plug. And then the next step will be selecting a router WiFi to connect. When the configuration is done, the smart plug WiFi will disappear. 

You may refer to this instruction for more information about How to set up my TP-Link Smart Plug Switch via Kasa

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Having trouble setting up HS103 Smart Plugs
11 hours ago

I configured he HS103s as described in the support video by connecting my iPad to to each individual HS103's WiFi signal.

After doing this, the HS103 remained invisible to my main WiFi router. The only configuartion change I managed to make at this stage was to give then user-friendly names.

To document the actual steps I took in trying to configure a smart plug, I reset everything, including deleting then reloading the KASA app, and started to reconfigure the switches again. At the second or third try, I found out where I had gone wrong. Although the instructions seem clear as to whether the smart plug should be talking to my iPad or the house router, I find that the instructions are not so clear on whether the iPad should be connected to the plug's or the house WiFi. When I had moved the plug to the house WiFi, I didn't do the same with my iPad. So problem solved. My plugs are now doing what I need of them. 

So thanks for your intervention, without which I probably would just have put the plugs on a shelf somewhere and forgotten them. While the instructions could have been a bit more comprehensive, I lay the fault mainly on my 85-year-old brain.                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Options