Tapo C500 notifications by activity type

2024-01-26 07:04:51 - last edited 2024-07-19 03:38:29
Tags: #Notifications
Model: Tapo C500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

Hello, I have a suggestion for the C500 camera. Please add the option to select notifications by type of detection (motion, person, camera manipulation), like the C200 cameras have. This would make the C500 camera more useful and satisfying for security purposes. Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
RE:Tapo C500 notifications by activity type-Solution
2024-07-18 22:13:36 - last edited 2024-07-19 03:38:29

@David199 Hi David. I know you want this feature as much as I do so I wanted to share here a workaround I found messing around with the app sections.

If you go to the tab “smart” then “automation” you can create a new one for when a human is detected in the C500 and then trigger a “send me messages”.

Steps: 

Go to "smart" then "automation" on the top right then tap the + icon at the top right.

Select "Automation"

When > device status change > select your tapo c500 > event detected > detects and select "person"

and in Then > Send Me Notifications and just enter the text you want to receive, in my case I set q message that says  “Person detected”.

Then you can go ahead and disable all notifications for the camera if you don’t want to get “motion detection” notifications.

Let me know if that works for you! I know it's not ideal but at least we can have only notifications for Person this way until they update the firmware to match all other cameras.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Tapo C500 notifications by activity type
2024-02-01 09:01:56

@argtr 

Hi,
This feature will be available on the Tapo C500 via firmware updates in the future. It's recommended to keep your camera's firmware up to date and wait for the new firmware patiently if you do not see this feature on your camera now.
Best Regards

Options
Re:Tapo C500 notifications by activity type
2024-04-10 02:03:03

@Solla-topee When is this coming? I have seen several threads complaining about the same issue relating to the C500 notifications and each has the same generic response that a feature request was "noted". Without the notification options this camera is basically useless as the only way to record motion and have notifications is to be bombarded with every movement outside. 

Options
RE:Tapo C500 notifications by activity type
2024-04-10 02:03:58
This is a must have, not nice to have, feature
Options
2024-07-07 07:43:56 - last edited 2024-07-07 22:41:16

I noticed it's available in all my other tapo devices except C500. Even in old models like C200. Also it's available on C520ws. So this is not a feature we need to request but rather a missing piece of the software that all of the other devices has. It has to be just a matter of enabling it. 

Please take into account that you need to leave the motion detection ON in order to use the motion tracking. And even if you didn't have to, the camera needs it to be able to detect parts of a body, turn in that direction and confirm if it's actually a person or not.
So IMO the C5XX models are the ones that can particularly take advantage of their hardware using both detection types but without notifying on false positives. 

Options
2024-07-11 12:16:14
Also tracking is not available for only persons in c500. Motion detection cannot be switched off if tracking is on.
Options
Re:Tapo C500 notifications by activity type- deeper issue
2024-07-11 12:29:18

@argtr there is a deeper issue here. The motion tracking is not like auto tracking in c520ws. Basically motion detection cannot be turned off on c500 if you only want to track humans.

So it will motion track only when motion detection is on and it will detect all rain and dust along with humans and send you unnecessary notifications.

Options
RE:Tapo C500 notifications by activity type-Solution
2024-07-18 22:13:36 - last edited 2024-07-19 03:38:29

@David199 Hi David. I know you want this feature as much as I do so I wanted to share here a workaround I found messing around with the app sections.

If you go to the tab “smart” then “automation” you can create a new one for when a human is detected in the C500 and then trigger a “send me messages”.

Steps: 

Go to "smart" then "automation" on the top right then tap the + icon at the top right.

Select "Automation"

When > device status change > select your tapo c500 > event detected > detects and select "person"

and in Then > Send Me Notifications and just enter the text you want to receive, in my case I set q message that says  “Person detected”.

Then you can go ahead and disable all notifications for the camera if you don’t want to get “motion detection” notifications.

Let me know if that works for you! I know it's not ideal but at least we can have only notifications for Person this way until they update the firmware to match all other cameras.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 487

Replies: 7

Voters 6

+ 2 Voters

Tags

Notifications