360 Degree Camera & Motion Tracking Limitation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-12 22:40:31
Model: Tapo C510W  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.1.1

Hi.

Having recently bought two of these cameras I am rather pleased with their functionaility besides a couple of annoyances.  This is the second question I cannot find an answer to in the existing forum threads. It involves Motion Tracking...

I have my camera high-up viewing a narrow shared alley between mine and and a neighbour;s house. Generally, the camera is looking downwards and to the right toward the entrance to the alley.

I can manually view every part of the alley using the vertical and horizontal pan control. However the camera cannot seem to track a person walking along the alley as it would involve both vertical and horizontal tracking.

It will track an individual to the limit of the bottom vertical axis but then stops instead of attempting to follow the subject by switching to the horizontal axis even though the subject was still in frame. So, for example a manual tracking movement to follow the subject would require down, down...down, left, left...left, up, up...up if they were walking to the left down the alley. Instead the Motion tracking stops when it reaches the tracking limit of down even though the subject could have been followed by then moving to a horizontal pan. Is this normal behaviour or a limitation of the software or hardware? To me it seems a software limitation as the second camera will quite happily do less complex tracking, right to left then up and down.

Options
7 Reply
Re:360 Degree Camera & Motion Tracking Limitation?
2024-01-15 06:14:20

@DazAA 

Hi,
For the reported issue, can I have a picture of your Tapo C510W installed to monitor the alley? And it would be highly appreciated if you could share a video showing the problem after the camera enables the motion tracking feature.
Best Regards

Options
2024-01-15 18:04:06

@Solla-topee thanks for the reply and help with this.

Please find attached the video of the camera trying to track me walking down the alley & a photo of the cameras location ringed in red (approx. 14ft up).

The tracking succeeds until it hits the bottom of the vertical limit and then gives up. In reality, if the tracking software were better it could have easily followed me further down the alley and over the gate into the back garden. This has been proved by me manually using the pan and tilt function to keep where I would have been in view (please also see the attached screen shots of this. The arrows denote which axis I adjusted to move the point of view). It is also worth mentioning that the camera mechanics themselves are not at fault as I swapped the camera for my other one and it failed tracking in the same location. Can anything be done to the software to improve tracking in scanrios like this?

File:
39984c3c-9816-464a-95af-6ab841d33573.mp4Download
Options
2024-01-15 18:05:00
Options
2024-01-15 18:05:20

Options
2024-01-18 07:57:15

@DazAA 

Hi,
Thank you very much for the updated info, video, and pictures.
I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

Options
2024-01-19 09:18:03

@Solla-topee 

Great, thanks for this. I will await their response.

Options
2024-01-19 09:34:35

@DazAA  You are welcome! smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 609

Replies: 7

Related Articles