interference with British Gas thermostat (868 MHz)?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-11 14:58:19
Model: Tapo T310   Tapo T315  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm considering buying some T310 or T315 (and the required hub). These use the 868 MHz band. I have a British Gas room thermostat that uses the 868 MHz band to communicate with the controller. Is there a possibility of interference between these products?

thanks

Andy

Options
3 Reply
Re:interference with British Gas thermostat (868 MHz)?
2023-11-12 12:18:27 - last edited 2023-11-13 08:05:00

@AH45 my *guess* is that you are unlikely to suffer any meaningful interference.  The Tapo unit will transmit sporadically, as will the Britsh Gas thermostat and controller arrangement. The two might collide with one another occasionally but I doubt it will be noticeable.

The BG thermostat probably does some form of handshaking, so that when the controller sends a command to the boiler the boiler will confirm receipt and will then carry out an action, itself confirmed back to the controller. Likewise for the boiler automatically starting based on a room temperature setting.  If a message doesn't get through (due to the fact that the transmission might collide with one from the Tapo, for example) it'll simply try again a moment later. This will all happen automatically and will be invisible from a user's perspective.

That, coupled with slightly different channel frequencies in the 868 band, and different coding and modulation schemes, means that one stopping the other from working is not at all likely.

Options
2023-11-13 09:59:19

@AH45 

868MHz is not crowded at all comparing to 2.4GHz and 5GHz

Options
2023-11-19 19:47:22

@y95q4j4pxx7k 

Thanks for the info, that was reassuring. I went ahead and bought the Tapo gear, and I haven't noticed any interference issues.

y95q4j4pxx7k wrote

@AH45 my *guess* is that you are unlikely to suffer any meaningful interference.  The Tapo unit will transmit sporadically, as will the Britsh Gas thermostat and controller arrangement. The two might collide with one another occasionally but I doubt it will be noticeable.

The BG thermostat probably does some form of handshaking, so that when the controller sends a command to the boiler the boiler will confirm receipt and will then carry out an action, itself confirmed back to the controller. Likewise for the boiler automatically starting based on a room temperature setting.  If a message doesn't get through (due to the fact that the transmission might collide with one from the Tapo, for example) it'll simply try again a moment later. This will all happen automatically and will be invisible from a user's perspective.

That, coupled with slightly different channel frequencies in the 868 band, and different coding and modulation schemes, means that one stopping the other from working is not at all likely.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 539

Replies: 3

Related Articles