Tapo C520WS firmware update 1.2.9 failing

a week ago
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

I updated the same way to 1.2.8 and older before.

Now the camera is "dead" with only green light visible.

I've tried waiting 2+ hours, only remedy is to shut down the power, it wakes up and works normally, but still on 1.2.8.

I've also tried formatting my SD Card, no change.

Sometimes it says "Installing..." sometimes "Updating..."

Anybody encountering the same behavior?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tapo C520WS firmware update 1.2.9 failing
a week ago

@Snuss 

Is it a problem with firmware update only? Does the camera encounter any other problem? Such as a problem with viewing the live stream, or playback? 

Please go to the Device Info page of your device to check the current firmware version, sometimes there may be a new firmware upgrade reminder even if the upgrade is successful due to app cache or network problem.

If the device does not upgrade successfully, you can try again after restarting the router, camera, and app.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago

@Wayne-TP

Hi, like I wrote the update has been unsuccessful, tired multiple times. Device info says 1.2.8 with red circle showing there's an update.

Every time I click update there is a green LED shown on the camera, the recording stops and the update doesn't finish (2+ hours). When I leave the camera menu in Tapo app, it still says firmware update in progress or something like that and doesn't allow me to open the camera menu. RTSP doesn't work either after clicking the update.

When I restart electricity, the camera reboots and starts working again, including RTSP and the Tapo app is prompting me to update the firmware again.

I have not changed anything (such as router and configs, camera placement etc.) since the last firmware update and done at least 3 of them in the past with no such behavior.

Options
Friday

Bump

Options
6 hours ago

@Snuss 

Check the signal strength of the camera: go to camera liveview page > Camera Settings -> Device Info -> Tap the signal icon to check the Signal Strength value (RSSI rate). If the signal is weak, move the camera closer to the router. 

Strong: more than -50 dBm

Good to Average: among -70 dBm to-50 dBm

Poor: less than -70 dBm

Please send the camera's Mac address to me via pm if the problem persists. And together with the information below:

1. Model of the router. 

2. Tapo app version.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 227

Replies: 4

Related Articles