Tapo C200: can't reconnect from external network after my router resets

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-22 08:48:11 - last edited 2023-09-22 08:51:53
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.6

Hello,

I use Tapo C200. No problem setting it up.In general it works fine.

However, I found out that if my router loses connection (e.g. due to electricity cut off or a problem with internet provider) and then restores back the connection, I can't acces my Tapo C200 from an external network anymore.

By "external" I meant: I can connect to my webcam when I'm connected to the same WiFi, but I can't access it from any other network. The application shows my device is "Offline" even though it's working fine and the LED is green.

To provide an example: yesterday evening I made sure I could access my C200. Then I switched my router off and on again. I could access the camera without a problem from while using my home WiFi. However, today when I'm in my company's office the device is shown as "Offline" even though I checked it before leaving my flat.

Is there anything in particular I should check with router? It might be far from being perfect as I use one delivered by my internet provider.

Regards,

Bogdan

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo C200: can't reconnect from external network after my router resets
2023-09-22 11:15:53

@BBaran 

Hi,
You can try to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 on your router, reboot it to make the changes take effect, ensure the router has internet access, and check if you can control the camera remotely.
Best Regards

Options
2023-09-23 19:43:45

@Solla-topee Thanks, trying it now.

In the meantime I discovered that my internet service provider changes my IP after my router reboots. I guess this is the root of the problem, right?

Options
2023-09-26 09:28:21

@BBaran 

Hi, 
The problem may be the DNS server on the router can't resolve the domain name of the TP-Link cloud server thus you can't control the camera remotely, and it's suggested to change the DNS server for a try.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 361

Replies: 3

Related Articles