Unblocked client cannot get IP from R605's DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-17 04:42:33 - last edited 2023-07-18 01:24:06
Tags: #DHCP Service #R605 DHCP fails unblocked device
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20230511 Rel.51317

I had unfortunatelly blocked an intelligent curtains' switch device and could see that it was connecting againt o my 2G wifi but could not see an IP at Clients list.

Forced a fixed IP but again, IP was not being listed and I could not ping.

As a workaround, I had to start reboot on R605 from OC200 controller and almost imediatelly if finished rebooting I could ping and also command the switch as nothing had happened before.

Please check if that's really a bug as unblocking a device seems to remain a block at dhcpd or r605 but really unblocks the device association at EAPs.

Note that I could not find a log from DHCP about noticing the fail in provide an IP for a device.

The UnF Networks, inc My TP-Link network : 1x OC200, 1x TL-R605, 2x EAP-245 & 1x TL-SG2008
Options
3 Reply
Re:Unblocked client cannot get IP from R605's DHCP
2023-07-18 01:29:32 - last edited 2023-07-18 01:38:06

Hi @TheUnF 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have a question for you, do you start to experience this issue right after your firmware update to the router?

If not, I think we should not blame the DHCP server first. I suspect that the command to unblock from the controller was not sent to the router and there was a sync problem. A reboot would refresh the status and sync again. Therefore, I assume it is a problem with the DHCP.

If you set a fixed IP address, which is a DHCP reservation, it is supposed to assign a static IP to your smart curtain switch. Does this work? If no, please provide your controller version, ER605 firmware version, and build(if it is 1.3.0 like you described in the post)

P.S.

1) The recent firmware added DHCP activities in the log. Yet this firmware may not be available for your models and products, for certain users they have this option now. In the Log system, you can set this. Requires compatible firmware. (If you turn this on, that could show hundreds or thousands of logs a day).

2) Note that the DHCP server is not actively sending an IP address to a device. It waits for the device to send a DHCP discover packet first.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-04 02:21:59 - last edited 2023-08-04 02:22:16

@Clive_A 

Q: do you start to experience this issue right after your firmware update to the router?

A: I guess all the time I have this Omada devices that  had issues with releasing fixed IPs and not being able to reallocate them to another host even if the previous assigned MAC was not visible for months. I opened this case because was the first time I attempted to reboot it and did worked.

Till today I don't see any new firmware than the 5.11.10 for my OC200 1.25.2 Build 20230704 Rel.64541 or than the 1.3.0 on my TL-R605 v1.0 .

This DHCP option is not available here.

If we have issues syncing a local controller to the R605 on such a small network, it's a huge bug for me.

The UnF Networks, inc My TP-Link network : 1x OC200, 1x TL-R605, 2x EAP-245 & 1x TL-SG2008
Options
2023-08-04 03:18:56

Hi @TheUnF 

Last quarter, there was barely any report about the DHCP issues. I am quite suspicious about what you described.

So, like my last post, I strongly suggest you use Wireshark to check if your device is actually asking for an IP address. Because this is important in DHCP interaction. No ask for DHCP IP, no IP assigned.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

DHCP client/server interaction

How do you draw a conclusion to this? Is this happening to all devices? Or just your smart certain IoT?

TheUnF wrote

@Clive_A 

Q: do you start to experience this issue right after your firmware update to the router?

A: I guess all the time I have this Omada devices that  had issues with releasing fixed IPs and not being able to reallocate them to another host even if the previous assigned MAC was not visible for months. I opened this case because was the first time I attempted to reboot it and did worked.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 349

Replies: 3

Tags

DHCP Service
R605 DHCP fails unblocked device
Related Articles