ER7206 requires complete reboot in order to regain IPSec tunnel connectivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-30 16:23:33 - last edited 2023-01-30 16:25:59
Tags: #VPN #ER7206
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ER7206(UN)_V1_1.2.3 Build 20221104

Hello all!

I'm noticing lately that after maintaining solid VPN S2S connections over IPSec between my ER7206 and remote IPSec endpoint for weeks/months, the tunnel eventually drops out and (it seems) the ER7206's IPsec isn't capable of reconnecting properly.

After troubleshooting and attempts to isolate, all signs point to the ER7206 just requring a periodic reboot before the behavior returns to normal.

There are two ISPs connected to my ER7206 router and the router itself takes a painful 10 minutes to recycle anytime this behavior happens, but unfortunately it seems to be a requirement.  Once I've rebooted, after the longest 10 minutes ever experienced (as ER7206 reboots resemble) my IPSec tunnels reconnect fine at both ends and I'm passing traffic again.

Why is this behavior taking place?  What logs can I review within the ER7206 to understand this behavior better?  What can I export for someone else to review this along-with and make more sense of this?

I am on Hardware v1 and firmware ER7206(UN)_V1_1.2.3 Build 20221104.   I do feel like this was happening prior to upgrading to 1.2.3 Build 20221104; maybe just not as often or I would have come here to post much sooner.

Thanks for any help or insightful articles one might provide that can help make sense of this.

Byron

Options
1 Reply
Re:ER7206 requires complete reboot in order to regain IPSec tunnel connectivity
2023-02-11 20:09:40

@ByronF 

Hello! It seems like you are having issues with your ER7206 router and its maintenance with Poquoson. It's great that you have identified the root cause of the problem, which is a periodic reboot of the router. The frequency of this reboot may be due to various reasons, such as the accumulation of logs, resource exhaustion, or software bugs.

To better understand the behavior, you can review the logs within the ER7206 router. The logs should provide information about the events that took place before and after the IPSec tunnel dropped out. You can use the log viewing tool within the router's web interface to view the logs, or you can export the logs to a file and share them with someone else for further analysis.

Additionally, you can try upgrading to the latest firmware version to see if the issue has been fixed in the newer version. You can also reach out to the manufacturer's technical support team for assistance. They may be able to provide more insight into the issue and offer a solution.

In conclusion, it's great that you are proactive in addressing this issue with your ER7206 router and its maintenance Poquoson. By reviewing the logs and seeking help from the manufacturer, you may be able to resolve the issue and improve the reliability of your IPSec tunnels.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 366

Replies: 1

Tags

VPN
ER7206
Related Articles