Site to site VPN behind ISP modem

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Trying to setup a site to site VPN, one end is behind an ISPs modem. Connecting to the ER7206 routers over Cloud Managment OC200 controllers.

Based on previous experience with other brands, I would setup the Warehouse in Initiator Mode and the HQ in Responder Mode and that would be that. Is there anyway to have the Remote Gateway IP address on the Responder set to 0.0.0.0?  This would allow the Warehouse to keep a connection if their IP address was updated due to DHCP.

I know that the client to site VPNs can handle a remote gateway of 0.0.0.0, looking to set this up on a site to site.

Thank you,

Rod

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Site to site VPN behind ISP modem-Solution

Hi @LERod 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Not gonna be possible with the IPsec.

I used to have such a connection with the Wireguard after their initial connection was established. After that, the connection is continuous and you can remove the public IP from the other Endpoint of the peer who's gonna respond.

You might wanna try that but if the connection is blocked for a while, that could stop the connection. You are gonna re-do the steps to connect two peers with the Endpoints specified.

That's my experience which seems to fit what you asked.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Site to site VPN behind ISP modem-Solution

Hi @LERod 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Not gonna be possible with the IPsec.

I used to have such a connection with the Wireguard after their initial connection was established. After that, the connection is continuous and you can remove the public IP from the other Endpoint of the peer who's gonna respond.

You might wanna try that but if the connection is blocked for a while, that could stop the connection. You are gonna re-do the steps to connect two peers with the Endpoints specified.

That's my experience which seems to fit what you asked.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Site to site VPN behind ISP modem
3 weeks ago

Thank you @Clive_A for responding.

I figured as much from my testing, was a last minute hail mary to see if I had missed something.

Thanks again,

Rod

Options