ER7206 WAN Drops at Renew

ER7206 WAN Drops at Renew

13 Reply
Re:ER7206 WAN Drops at Renew
2024-05-17 14:03:50 - last edited 2024-05-18 00:17:49

@Clive_A Unfortunately the testing on the ER7206 will have to wait until the 1st of June as I'm out of "setting the home network" for Youtube TV for the month of May (you only get 3 times per month and it is based on the public IP of the router).  If I lose "unlimited" streams in the house during NHL and NBA playoffs, there will be hell to pay! wink

I'll follow up in a couple of weeks...  Thanks Again!

Options
2024-05-22 02:03:40

@Clive_A Well it turns out my ER605 did the same thing (dropped the WAN at renew), it just does it vary rarely compared to the ER7206.  As this seems more and more like an ISP issue, I've been working with them and not surprisingly they had no answer.  What seems to be happening is the ISP doesn't allow the connected device to renew until the lease is completely expired (or nearly so) and if the timing is off, the renew will fail causing a new discovery.

I finally gave in and had them take my ONT out of bridge mode and put it back into routing mode.  That way my ER7206 is getting its IP from the ISP's ONT versus the ISP itself.  Understanding that this puts me in a double NAT situation, I put the ER7206 in the DMZ of the ONT.  Obviously this is a work around but as long as things work I'm not going to complain.

Now if it goes down, it is their hardware that is failing to obtain the public IP not my device so I can put the onus on them to fix it...

Options
2024-05-22 02:31:46

Hi @Aveamantium 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Aveamantium wrote

@Clive_A Well it turns out my ER605 did the same thing (dropped the WAN at renew), it just does it vary rarely compared to the ER7206.  As this seems more and more like an ISP issue, I've been working with them and not surprisingly they had no answer.  What seems to be happening is the ISP doesn't allow the connected device to renew until the lease is completely expired (or nearly so) and if the timing is off, the renew will fail causing a new discovery.

I finally gave in and had them take my ONT out of bridge mode and put it back into routing mode.  That way my ER7206 is getting its IP from the ISP's ONT versus the ISP itself.  Understanding that this puts me in a double NAT situation, I put the ER7206 in the DMZ of the ONT.  Obviously this is a work around but as long as things work I'm not going to complain.

Now if it goes down, it is their hardware that is failing to obtain the public IP not my device so I can put the onus on them to fix it...

Not sure if your ISP ONT device. But if this is a DHCP server thing, it should happen to their ONT router as well. Can you check out their log about this? As for now, evidence indicates that the problem resides in the ISP end, so, regardless of what kind of routers you have, it should always happen as the DHCP server requires a new discovery instead of renewal every 24 hours.

If this persists on the ISP ONT device, looks like there is no way to fix it unless your ISP makes moves to deal with this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Related Articles