Finally got everything working without any issues.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Finally got everything working without any issues.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
22 Reply
Finally achieved 100% reliability. Five APs was the magic number.
2024-01-11 14:21:20

I still have to tidy up all the wires. But the network has been up for some days now with zero errors, and today the power went out, stress testing it, and everything continued working through the power failure, and when the power came on the remainder of the HomeKit devices that had lost power. reconnected instantly because the network never went down. I have one Apple TV hub plus some security cameras on the UPS's so I can still check my home even if the electricity goes out.

Options
Re:Finally got everything working without any issues.
2024-01-11 15:00:00

@TzTerri 

Great news!  And a shout-out for the ghetto-style waterproofing :)

Question: Is it still necessary to have all APs use the same 2.4G channel?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-11 15:07:55 - last edited 2024-01-11 15:10:36

I have everything on auto with the exception of having unscheduled automatic power, failure save, turned off. It is the controller, deciding what channel is best. Originally it had one ER605 on 11 and the other one on 6 but then when I added three EAP225 the controller put both on channel 6 and the three EAP225 on Channel 11. Everything is working perfectly so I'm just leaving alone. Going to stop by Home Depot and get some stuff to tidy up the wires and get rid of my ghetto waterproofing over the sink.

My home is made out of 70-year-old reinforced concrete and it's like living in a faraday cage. So five APs seems to be a magic number. Being able to generate heat maps has really helped.

Options
2024-01-14 16:07:31 - last edited 2024-01-14 16:11:38

@d0ugmac1 

The controller put the three EAP255 all on channel 11. But I was seeing a lot of interference on them so I manually put the two outside my house on channel 1 and the one in my garage back on channel 11 after the controller moved it to channel 6.

My video doorbell got super fast after I did this and everything else which was already working possibly is working even better so I guess the controller doesn't always make the best decision and what channel to put stuff on.

I left the two EAP610 inside my home that are on opposite sides of my home on  channel 6 that the controller placed them on.

Options
2024-01-14 16:12:56

@TzTerri 

Thanks for the update, that change and outcome makes way more sense to my engineer brain :)

Options
2024-01-14 16:23:40

@d0ugmac1 

Here is screenshots of all five of my APs as of today.

Options
2024-01-14 19:44:30

Even though the controller wanted to put the office on channel 6, it just seemed like it made more sense to put it on channel 11.

Everything is running super quick.

I wish the EAP610 showed interference on a graph like the EAP225 graph does.

@TzTerri 

Options
2024-01-14 20:12:55

@TzTerri 

Everything running super-quick is usually my 'acceptance' test :)

Unfortunately the newer chipsets used by TPlink, don't break out the interference component like the older ones did, we all miss it, but there's nothing to be done without a full product redesign...assuming you can even get an AX chipset that does it.  Not a hill I'd die on.

Options
2024-01-18 15:44:09 - last edited 2024-01-19 12:56:07

@d0ugmac1 

Did heat maps of the 5 GHz band and discovered this about the 5 GHz band.

So I moved the cave AP to channel 36 which is the same as te office AP that is on the opposite side of my home.

Options
2024-01-27 04:51:30
I put all the AP 5ghz channels back on auto as if I put one of my five APs to be on the same 5ghz1 Chanel as the other three it would always move another to the 5gh2 channels. But it looks odd on the heat map.
Options
Related Articles