Status LEDs on active ports always flashing synchronously | SOLVED

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Status LEDs on active ports always flashing synchronously | SOLVED

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
39 Reply
Re:Status LEDs on active ports always flashing synchronously | SOLVED
2017-01-05 07:55:58
I understand the firmware is open source, however, repair of this problem may require new hardware (this is the new model of product promotion, no? Planned Insufficiency.:rolleyes:)
Options
2017-01-05 08:43:01

R1D2 wrote

By assigning port 9 into VLANs 100,101 and 102 it will become a trunk port, i.e. it requires tagged packets on input to be able to forward them into the destination VLAN. [...] in order to access two separate VLANs through one cable over a trunk port, your connected device (Internet router) must be able to send/receive tagged packets.

Well, as I understand, the packets coming out of that switch and into the router are untagged; I am not sure what that implies for your requirement that the router return tagged packets. In any case, I had internet connectivity from both Apartment and Home without any configuration for my router to send tagged packets.

I think a "loop" would occur if, say, my router repeated ARP packets sent into its single LAN port out the same port. It's not doing that, is it?

Anyway, I have internet connectivity on ports with the same PVID as the router port's and those with (multiple) different PVIDs. I'm not sure there are no "side effects" of my current configuration, but isolation from the internet is not one of them and it does not appear the ports I intended to isolate are connecting through a "loop". I am eager for the explanation why my status LEDs are acting the way they do - especially if there is traffic put on all connected ports because the PVIDs of the ports I want to be communicating don't match. [LEFT][/LEFT]
Options
2017-01-05 09:31:39

pleased wrote

I think a "loop" would occur if, say, my router repeated ARP packets sent into its single LAN port out the same port. It's not doing that, is it?

To answer, I would need to know little more such as subnets you are using.

Anyway, I have internet connectivity on ports with the same PVID as the router port's and those with (multiple) different PVIDs.

Of course, yes. Incoming packets without a tag are assigned to the default VLAN and every port is a member of it in your setup. Can you ping from a system in Home to a system in Apartment? If so, there is no isolation, this are no longer VLANs.

What you try to do (ports 2-6 = Home, 7+8 = Apartment, port 1 in both, Home and Apartment and also in - let's call it - Internet, all ports 1-8 in Internet) is indeed possible - but not with TL-SG108E.

It is called private VLANs or PVLANs - you have a primary VLAN ( Internet) and two secondary VLANs ( Home, Apartment). The ports in the secondary PVLANs can be ' community' or ' isolated'. 'C ommunity' ports can reach each other (either Home or Apartment) and the ' promiscuous' router port ( Internet), while ' isolated ports' can only talk to the ' promiscuous' port. The packets get tagged with the PVID, but the tags never go out to any port.

See this article for more information: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/CLIConfigurationGuide/PrivateVLANs.html

I'm not sure, but the more expensive TP-Link switches could probably handle PVLANs, too. But PVLANs have nothing to do with 802.1Q VLANs - they have been designed to connect a company's private network in distant offices with several VLANs over an isolated, big ISP-provided VLAN spanning public networks if I understand it correctly. Hence their name. AFAIK they put a tagged Ethernet frame into another tagged Ethernet frame, but I didn't elaborate more on this somewhat weird technique. ;)

I would suggest to use a classic 802.1Q trunk to achieve what you want with TL-SG108E. Should be possible with every Internet router, which provides 802.1Q trunks or at least two subnets on two LAN ports.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-01-05 10:46:33
You ask, R1D2, "Can you ping from a system in Home to a system in Apartment?" So far, the answer is no: "no ping response from known IP address on other VLAN".

This network is cobbled together and my router does not have 802.1q trunks or even subnets.

You seem to believe the network I have is the cause of this problem I have. I am eager to hear an explanation of this. The only thing I can think of so far is that, when the SG108e transfers a packet to my router "across PVIDs", it does something to the packet to cause the router to send a broadcast in response. I was hoping for a plausible explanation of thisbefore I launched into using Wireshark which would probably require a substantial investment of time. And the schematic understanding I have of what the SG108e is supposed to be doing here does not seem to match it's behavior. I am quite willing to correct my understanding.

I pray a TP-Link oracle will have my answer ...
Options
2017-01-05 11:31:04

pleased wrote

The only thing I can think of so far is that, when the SG108e transfers a packet to my router "across PVIDs", it does something to the packet to cause the router to send a broadcast in response.

Yes, this was my first thought, too. Any broadcast request from the router would be sent to all ports b/c they are all in VLAN 1. According to the TP-Link docs, an untagged packet on a tagged port (remember: all ports assigned to more than one VLAN are tagged ports) will get the PVID of the ingress port, but will be forwarded with the PVID of the egress port (again all ports, b/c they are also a member of the VLAN 1).* Result are blinkenlights for every broadcast of any device. Is this plausible?

* See table below for PVID handling - it's from the first edition of T1600G's User's Guide, which has been replaced already by another version - I saved it for reference. Since the TL-SG108's UG is very sparse, I take this as reference. I think that the OS of the switches is almost the same for Easy Smart and Smart/Managed switches.

Just guessing by my gut feeling. ;) To proof, I would have to set up this scheme and analyze it, like you could do too. It would probably be easier to just set up a trunk port, but if I have some time tomorrow, I probably will test it if you think it makes sense. But I have Unix systems only and they don't send as much broadcasts as Windows does, so my LEDs would probably blink with somewhat slower frequency (no kidding).

Before doing so, please could you test it with just one computer connected to the switch and the switch to the router to see if something changes (frequency of blinking, for example)?

Options
2017-01-05 12:07:20
This seems definitive: "The packet will be forwarded after removing its VLAN tag," no matter whether the packet's destination port had the same PVID or not. I am not clear on your statement, "remember: all ports assigned to more than one VLAN are tagged ports". According to my SG108e VLAN configuration, all ports are untagged. Please explain.

I'm racking my limited networking understanding and I can't see how this is a network problem.

I don't understand your trunk experiment and am hesitant to investigate that option at present. Perhaps if you clarified the configuration so I could think about it, I would like to try it as well.[LEFT][/LEFT]
Options
2017-01-05 12:21:54
Would you like me to connect just the server with the torrent client or something just running a browser? I confess I don't understand your purpose since I see the difference (between having the same PVID and having different PVIDs) in the other connected ports.
Options
2017-01-05 12:30:18
Trunk is not an expirement, it's the only way to connect two or more VLAN networks to a third network outside of the TL-SG108E.
I will test tomorrow (or better: today, it's already Tuesday here) with my switch and we'll see whether I can reproduce this behaviour.

Yes, the PVID handling seems confusing a bit, but it is what this switch does according to the docs.
For configuration, I would just set up the switch like you described.
Options
2017-01-05 12:35:40
I believe if I trunked the VLANs to my cheap router it would reject the traffic.

I'm wondering what could be causing it to broadcast ... is the router's request for info never answered when the destination does not have the same primary VLAN? Why the hell would that be?[LEFT][/LEFT]
Options
2017-01-05 12:49:30
Thanks, R1D2. You are in Germany?
Options
Related Articles