Clients unable to connect to WiFi SSID when using dual 2.5 & 5g. Only able to connect to 2.5 alone.

Clients unable to connect to WiFi SSID when using dual 2.5 & 5g. Only able to connect to 2.5 alone.

a week ago - last edited Monday
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.6 Build 20240718 Rel.82715

Essentially, I have been running to WiFi SSID's. SSID A runs with 2.4 & 5g bands. SSID B runs with 2.4 only. Up till a few weeks ago, there were no issues with connections to either ID. I have A for most clients. B is for those items that can only function on the 2.4 channels.

Suddenly, I am having issues with clients being unable to connect to the dual bands SSID. Using a WiFi analyzer I have noticed a hidden SSID that matches the exact frequency of the dual channel ID.

The only new variable I can think of would be that I ran a new line for eithernet to an office. In order to run this line I needed to add a new switch to provide PoE for the AP while delivering access via cable to the office.

I'm using a EAP660HD(US) v 1.0 on the main floor and an EAP610(US) v2.0 on the subfloor.

I only have about 20 or so clients running on the WiFi so it's not overloaded.

Network layout for is as follows

Router -----> Unmanaged PoE Switch (Switch also connects to other clients but they are all hard wired)

|

----------------

|                   |

EAP610       New Switch
                                           |

-----------------

|                   |

EAP660          Office

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Clients unable to connect to WiFi SSID when using dual 2.5 & 5g. Only able to connect to 2.5 alone.-Solution

Hi @CallieBear 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Unable to connect to the WIFI or connected to the WIFI but displays no Internet and gets an IP of 169.254.X.X?

If this is the first scenario, you gotta confirm this case on the EAP page as it seems to be a problem with the EAP.

If you are using iOS, make sure you check the IP when connecting to the WIFI. At least it can provide some insights in judging the issue.

So far, with the given information, it's hard to tell which one is the problem.

Recommend you check the settings in the way you configure it. Watch out for every detail you configure for the VLAN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Clients unable to connect to WiFi SSID when using dual 2.5 & 5g. Only able to connect to 2.5 alone.-Solution

Hi @CallieBear 

Unable to connect to the WIFI or connected to the WIFI but displays no Internet and gets an IP of 169.254.X.X?

If this is the first scenario, you gotta confirm this case on the EAP page as it seems to be a problem with the EAP.

If you are using iOS, make sure you check the IP when connecting to the WIFI. At least it can provide some insights in judging the issue.

So far, with the given information, it's hard to tell which one is the problem.

Recommend you check the settings in the way you configure it. Watch out for every detail you configure for the VLAN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Clients unable to connect to WiFi SSID when using dual 2.5 & 5g. Only able to connect to 2.5 alone.
a week ago

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your assessment.

My EAP's are managed using a TP-Link OC200 Controller.

I have the EAP's set to Auto for all options except power which I have power turned up to high to reach the whole bulding.

It is not that the devices are unable to connect to the EAP, they are unable to connect or stay connected to the WiFi when connected to the SSID running dual 2.4g and 5g bands. If it is just running the 2.5g band, then they all connect just fine.

Options
Re:Clients unable to connect to WiFi SSID when using dual 2.5 & 5g. Only able to connect to 2.5 alone.
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi @CallieBear 

CallieBear wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your assessment.

My EAP's are managed using a TP-Link OC200 Controller.

I have the EAP's set to Auto for all options except power which I have power turned up to high to reach the whole bulding.

It is not that the devices are unable to connect to the EAP, they are unable to connect or stay connected to the WiFi when connected to the SSID running dual 2.4g and 5g bands. If it is just running the 2.5g band, then they all connect just fine.

I think it is a problem residing in the AP.

If possible recommend you start a new thread in the EAP.

AFAIK, you might wanna change the roaming settings(to disable maybe) and reduce the transmission power. Make sure they connect to the closest AP instead of a remote one which has a weaker signal and it might behave like "unable to connect dual-band WIFI".

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 63

Replies: 3

Related Articles