SG2005P-PD Switch is the top (by >3x) DNS querier in the entire network!

a week ago - last edited Tuesday
Model: SG2005P-PD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20240807 Rel.60731

I was looking at some DNS stats and noticed one host was by far top of the most DNS lookups list, with more than 3x the next highest host... I was curious and went looking to find out what it was - only to see that it is my SG2005P-PD, doing mltiple DNS lookups of multiple NTP hosts every few seconds - why would it be doing this, and how do I fix it so it stops? Every omada device on the network should have the same NTP config, so it is really odd that this one device is behaving so badly on its own.

Small snapshot of multiple DNS requests for multiple NTP hosts every few seconds from 192.168.4.92

Many ntp lookups

Confirming that 192.168.4.92 is this Omada managed switch:

By far this one switch is dominating DNS lookup, all for these NTP hosts (30% of ALL DNS requests):

My Site NTP config only has the single "time-dot-nist-dot-gov" (using "-dot-" to prevent illegal link blocking) host specified, so I don't even know where it is getting the other "ntp1-dot-glb-dot-nist-dot-gov" NTP hostname from... and it shouldn't be looking up either multiple times a second (it shouldn't be attemptig to sync time multiple times a second either)!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:SG2005P-PD Switch is the top (by >3x) DNS querier in the entire network!-Solution
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

Hi @daubstep 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It has nothing to do with any of the devices. It is a problem with the domain, your NTP server.

It was first resolved into ntp1. domain, and then ntp1 was resolved into the IP.

So, it is not a problem with the switch or the Adguard you've deployed. Normal behavior.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:SG2005P-PD Switch is the top (by >3x) DNS querier in the entire network!-Solution
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

Hi @daubstep 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It has nothing to do with any of the devices. It is a problem with the domain, your NTP server.

It was first resolved into ntp1. domain, and then ntp1 was resolved into the IP.

So, it is not a problem with the switch or the Adguard you've deployed. Normal behavior.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 81

Replies: 1

Related Articles