ER707-M2 - Primary WAN Slows Down when Backup WAN Is In Use

2 weeks ago
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20240324 Rel.42799

Hello-

I have a routing policy on my ER707-M2 that forces all traffic from one computer on my network to use my backup WAN (300 Mbs speed) only.

My primary WAN has a 1000 Mbps connection speed and all my other devices use that connection.

Normally when doing a speed test on the Primary WAN, it performs as expected at the 1000 Mbps speed.  

However, if I have significant download happening on on the backup WAN, the primary WAN is slowed down to about 200 Mbps vs. the expected 1000 Mbps..

It seems like these two WANS should operate independantly.   Can anybody tell me why one would affect the other?

Thanks!

Options
9 Reply
Re:ER707-M2 - Primary WAN Slows Down when Backup WAN Is In Use
2 weeks ago

Hi @ClockerXP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Have you monitored how many sessions are used for the download on the backup WAN?

It could drain the session on the backup WAN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Hello- I have tried it with one  fast download going on the backup WAN (i.e. a direct download of a Linux iso) as well as several small ones (downloading torrrent).   I have also tried with and without a VPN connection on the backup WAN.   

Any type of significant download on the 300Mbps  backup WAN is bringing the primary WAN (fast, 1000mbps) to a crawl.

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @ClockerXP 

ClockerXP wrote

@Clive_A 

Hello- I have tried it with one  fast download going on the backup WAN (i.e. a direct download of a Linux iso) as well as several small ones (downloading torrrent).   I have also tried with and without a VPN connection on the backup WAN.   

Any type of significant download on the 300Mbps  backup WAN is bringing the primary WAN (fast, 1000mbps) to a crawl.

I recommend you test this with iperf.

Like I wrote previously, sessions.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Hello-  The slow downs occur with only one client downloading something from the primary WAN and one client downloading on the backup WAN.  What is the point of doing iperf?   Also, I monitored the CPU utilization of the router during the testing and it is only in the 5-10% range.

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @ClockerXP 

ClockerXP wrote

@Clive_A 

Hello-  The slow downs occur with only one client downloading something from the primary WAN and one client downloading on the backup WAN.  What is the point of doing iperf?   Also, I monitored the CPU utilization of the router during the testing and it is only in the 5-10% range.

The session is not the same thing as the CPU.

We only take the speed test or iperf as the results. Any other types of testing may have uncontrollable variables.

And can you show a picture of how you configure the load balance?

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Here is a video with the different information you requested. I am not sure if the iperf run I did is exactly what you are looking for.

https://youtu.be/QtVfmzMTulM

Options
2 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Hello Again-

Below is a video with the different information you requested. I am not sure if the iperf run I did is exactly what you are looking for.   Could you take a look and let me know?

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @ClockerXP 

ClockerXP wrote

@Clive_A 

Hello Again-

Below is a video with the different information you requested. I am not sure if the iperf run I did is exactly what you are looking for.   Could you take a look and let me know?

The issue is clear in your video and I sent this to the test team for review yesterday when you first replied with the link. The investigation may take a while.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited Monday

@Clive_A 

Thank you!   I did some more testing that may be helpful.

I tried switching the cable modems between the two WAN ports:  

I put the Netgear CM2050V Xfinity modem (faster 1000mbps, primary connection) on the 1Gb port

I put the Technicolor CVA4003TCH1 WOW modem (slower 300mbps, backup connection) on the 2.5Gb port

With this change, the primary internet connection does not seem to be affected by activity on the backup connection.  The only limit is that the Xfinity service is limited by the speed of the 1Gb ethernet port it is connected to on the router.  As a result, I am losing some speed on the xfinity connection because the over-provision by about 20%.  I should be able to get about 1200 Mbps with my Xfinity connection but I am limited to about 900 Mbps because I must use the 1Gbps port on the ER-707M2.

Options