Device Hijacked by Omada Controller - how to take back control?

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So we had an IT manager we let go for various reasons. One of the reasons was lack of documentation and lack of consultation with management as to IT operations.

Since we let him go, we had an issue that took all our computers offline. I've traced it back to a ER7206 Load Balancer that has had its configuration status change. It's not where it's supposed to be, and it's login & passwords don't work, and it's being controlled by an Omada Controller we as management never knew existed.  We did know the IT manager put the security cameras in his personal account, which we told him to rectify, which he didn't, so I did set up my own TP Link account and reset every device and connected them to my account..

I am now trying to use that same TP Link account I use for my security cameras as a cloud based controller. I tried to add the ER7206 to the controller, but the error is saying it's already added to another controller.

I physically have the device within our office, however I don't want to reset it if I don't have to, I just want it under my control first so I can reconfigure the settings.

Is there any way I can forcefully take back control, as I don't have the user/login of this staff members personal account, nor will he help us by forgetting the device.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Device Hijacked by Omada Controller - how to take back control?
a week ago

@Cypherkillz 

If the hosted controller hosted by TPLINK themselves?  or a 3rd party company?  Or are you hosting it in a cloud server yourself?

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
a week ago

I'm a business owner, and we had to let go our IT manager for many issues, and a lack of documentation about IT systems and processes was one of them.

I knew we had a firewall/load balancer, however I've never had to log in to it. 

After we terminated the IT manager, 2 weeks later our internet went down, and after much investigation the ER7206 had reset it's IP address to 192.168.0.1 (the default), from 192.168.10.1 (what was configured). When I found the original IP, I tried to log in via local, and that's when it gave me the error, it's via controller.

As to the controller, I can only presume it's a TP link hosted controller, and it says the IP for it is 18.140.242.137, which is an AWS server in Singapore apparently.

I was hoping to resolve without resetting the device, but I ended up doing that anyway. I reset the device, created local accounts, enabled cloud controlling, then added the device to the cloud controller.

So we are all up and running again.

However the question I still have is.... Did our ex IT Manager change the settings, (as it took us down for 2 days operations), or did the system just happen to reset itself, and it just so happened that the ex IT manager forgot to mention he was the controller.

In my eyes, it's inexcusable 1) The lack of documentation, and 2) The fact he put his personal account as the controller, and never added me. I've specifically instructed him on the Tapo Cameras they should be in my name.

Options
a week ago

@Cypherkillz 

reset it all.  Find an MSP locally to you to help you bring it all back.  That MSP will give you access the right way. 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options