Tracking down a connection issue

2024-08-19 12:02:05
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hello,

I have the ER8411 router,with two ISP's going in.

Both of the ISP's are correctly configured, with load balancing, however, I'm having issues connecting to a particular site while using the router. If started on one of my connections, so I made the second one primary and it worked for a week or so. Now, both my connections will not even ping the website. None of my configs have changed since installing the router, however I have to solve this urgently.

What I have tried is switching the DNS servers, traceroute without going through the router works, so the only thing that could be wrong is the router config.

Now, I wouldn't be asking for help if I knew where to look for logs in the omada controller, and I suspect that somehow it's getting blocked either in the firewall, or by the acl, but there's no rule setup.

A traceroute to the domain works for the first few hops, and I want to confirm everything is working fine on my side, before contacting the domain registrar to help me debug this issue.

Please someone help.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tracking down a connection issue
2024-08-20 01:13:43

Hi @adyopo_76 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

A traceroute works for a few hops which means the router is not to blame. If the hops get a timeout after the first few hops, it is your ISP or the DNS.

Don't have any other recommendations for you now.

Will you be able to ping IP addresses when the connection is not working?

Would love to see some screenshots and the online detection results. The online detection log is now recorded in the log system. I also wonder if you have any detection of offline.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-20 09:43:33

@Clive_A Thank you very much for the sanity check. I suspected all is fine on my side, but I just needed somekind of confirmation from someone with a bit more networking knowledge than myself.

It seems that both of my public IP's were blocked by their firewall, I just needed to make sure that there's nothing more I can do at my end to debug the issue, and due to my limited DNS knowledge I went and looked for help from the manufacturers of the equipment that makes up my networking stack.

Options
2024-08-21 01:16:14

Hi @adyopo_76 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

adyopo_76 wrote

@Clive_A Thank you very much for the sanity check. I suspected all is fine on my side, but I just needed somekind of confirmation from someone with a bit more networking knowledge than myself.

It seems that both of my public IP's were blocked by their firewall, I just needed to make sure that there's nothing more I can do at my end to debug the issue, and due to my limited DNS knowledge I went and looked for help from the manufacturers of the equipment that makes up my networking stack.

Okay. As long as you make sure the first few hops are not problems because they are your routers and modems(maybe). The rest of the issue should be the hops on the ISP or the gateways in the hops.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 161

Replies: 3

Related Articles