Can my WAPs be in a mesh network?

2024-07-20 13:34:27 - last edited 2024-07-23 02:33:33
Tags: #Mesh
Model: EAP225-Wall   EAP225  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 5.0.3

Hi, I can't seem to find my answer via Google, so I'm hoping someone here can help out.

I have 3 wifi access points. 2x EAP225-Wall (v2) and 1x EAP225 (v3). I just moved to a new house w/out ethernet cabling so I was wondering if these devices could be setup in a mesh network. I have 1 room in particular that really needs it. I do have the Omada controller software (v5.14.26.1) running on an Ubuntu server to manage these devices.

Side question. The Wall EAPs are on firmware version 5.0.3 (the latest available). When I upgraded my EAP225 (v3) to the latest firmware (v5.1.6), I wasn't able to adopt it to my network. I had to downgrade the firmware to 5.0.3. Is that normal?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can my WAPs be in a mesh network?-Solution
2024-07-22 07:32:04 - last edited 2024-07-23 02:33:33

@alamarra 

Because the EAP225 wall does not support Mesh, you still need a cable to connect, and it is mounted on the wall, so a Mesh connection is not suitable because the wall will substantially block the signal.

After the upgrade, is there an error that prevents it from being adopted? Is it under your local management? Whether the AP and the controller are connected to the same subnet?

What Should I Do if Omada Software Controller OC200 Cannot Adopt Omada EAP

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can my WAPs be in a mesh network?-Solution
2024-07-22 07:32:04 - last edited 2024-07-23 02:33:33

@alamarra 

Because the EAP225 wall does not support Mesh, you still need a cable to connect, and it is mounted on the wall, so a Mesh connection is not suitable because the wall will substantially block the signal.

After the upgrade, is there an error that prevents it from being adopted? Is it under your local management? Whether the AP and the controller are connected to the same subnet?

What Should I Do if Omada Software Controller OC200 Cannot Adopt Omada EAP

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can my WAPs be in a mesh network?
2024-07-22 17:28:08

@Hank21 

Thank you. What about the regular EAP225 (v3)? Could that be in a "mesh mode" while the others (EAP225-Wall) are supplying the connection?

Regarding the upgrade, I didn't see any error messages in the Omada Controller logs. It just said that it failed to adopt. I was able to log into the WAP directly and downgrade the firmware. And they're all on the same subnet.

Options
Re:Can my WAPs be in a mesh network?
2024-07-23 02:33:11 - last edited 2024-07-23 02:36:55

@alamarra 

EAP225 supports Mesh, but you should be aware that to construct a Mesh network, the root AP has to link to the router, whereas the Mesh AP can connect wirelessly to the Root AP.Both the Root AP and the Mesh AP should support Mesh.
How to Build a Mesh Network via Omada EAP in Controller Mode

Can you adopt devices other than your EAP225 with V5.1.6?

Omada Software Controller/OC200 communicates with Omada EAP via TCP/UDP port 29810-29814. Some anti-virus program or firewalls may block this kind of packets. You can disable the anti-virus or firewalls (on the PC that the Omada Software Controller is installed) in your network first for checking. And you need to open TCP/UDP port 29810-29816 in the anti-virus/firewalls (since Omada Software Controller communicate with Omada EAP via TCP/UDP port 29810-29816)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 232

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles