L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests

2024-02-28 05:08:23 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:01
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

My ER605v2 seems to drop LT2P/ipsec VPN connection every time a VPN client do a speed test (both Ookla and fast.com). The drop happens during the upload part of the speed test. I've tested from both a MacBook and an iPhone while be connected to my VPN server (ER605). I tried uploading four heavy files to Google Drive using a VPN connection, and that was not an issue. The issues seems to be related to speed testing only.

What could cause this? Some kind of FW protection that thinks the speed check is some kind of attack? I can't find anything useful regarding the disconnect in the log. The log just says the client disconnected. Could my ISP be causing this?

Its not a big issue, but I want to get to the bottom of why this is happening. 

Best,

Markus

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests-Solution
2024-02-28 09:21:27 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:01

Hi @Clive_A 

I tried on a win laptop just now and the outcome is - as you suggested - a bit different. The vpn connection doesn't disconnect, but I'm unable to reach my router for a for a few seconds while doing the speed test.

(I pinged my router while doing the speed test, and I got three request timed out in a row, then pinging is successful again. 

On the mac and iphone, the vpn connection fails and does not recover on its own.

markus

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-28 09:34:31 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:07

Hi @markie83 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

markie83 wrote

Hi @Clive_A 

I tried on a win laptop just now and the outcome is - as you suggested - a bit different. The vpn connection doesn't disconnect, but I'm unable to reach my router for a for a few seconds while doing the speed test.

(I pinged my router while doing the speed test, and I got three request timed out in a row, then pinging is successful again. 

On the mac and iphone, the vpn connection fails and does not recover on its own.

markus

That looks like a drain of the session/bandwidth indeed.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests
2024-02-28 07:38:55

Hi @markie83 

Try on a Win PC or Android and see if this happens or not.

Never seen this before. I assume it is not a problem with the router instead on your Apple devices.

Could be a drain of sessions. It cannot handle the bandwidth in the speed test as it drains sessions and bandwidth.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-28 09:21:27 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:01

Hi @Clive_A 

markus

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-28 09:34:31 - last edited 2024-02-29 01:45:07

Hi @markie83 

markie83 wrote

Hi @Clive_A 

markus

That looks like a drain of the session/bandwidth indeed.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-22 02:04:02

@Clive_A Its not that, I have a 10gig fiber, and the vpn dies the same, its a software bug.  Its crashing or its just bad.

Options
2024-07-22 02:20:50 - last edited 2024-07-22 02:22:28

Hi @briankwest 

briankwest wrote

@Clive_A Its not that, I have a 10gig fiber, and the vpn dies the same, its a software bug.  Its crashing or its just bad.

I will not make any further comments or explanations about how VPN works before you can show me a test in LAN to test its peak performance/throughput. As this is only a simple line of opinion.

I also expect your dialectic evidence, methodology and details to show me it is a "software bug". And the definition of the "software bug".

And, are you getting symmetric 10 gig Internet? And your detailed problem description.

I will check them before I report it to the dev or reply to correct if anything is misunderstood.

You may start a new thread to discuss this with me. I hope to see the thread soon and get it fixed soon.

Options
2024-07-22 10:03:28

@Clive_A Here is how I've tested this:

Tests for VPN were done on an iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 17.5.1 and iPad M4 running iOS 17.5.1.

Router: ER8411 Fireware 1.2.1

Switch: TL-SX3206HPP Firmware 1.20.0

WiFI AP: EAP773 Firmware 1.0.13

iPhone 14 Pro Max

AT&T

Verizon

T-Mobile

WiFi

iPad M4

T-Mobile, Disconnects too on upload speed test. (No Video)

WiFi to iPhone, on Verizon, Speed Test doesn't cause the VPN to disconnect, seems to cause issues only on LTE/5G connections. 

Mac Studio M2 Ultra Sonoma 14.5 (23F79)

Wired from my Desktop

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lAdIBPWiFXj9fQ0170SfPhsrqwDBPT9_?usp=drive_link

The issue seems to be specific to iOS but the ER8411 doesn't log sufficient information as to why it was disconnected.

I suspect timeouts need to be adjusted but again lacking information.

What options do we have to crank up the debug of the VPN Sever so we can see this?

Thanks,

Brian

This 

Options
2024-07-22 10:21:22

Thisnis the best debug I can find.

Options
2024-07-22 13:09:43

@Clive_A How can we get the config file the l2tpd uses on the router?  I think Its a bug in the config, or the version the router runs, but I can't see to get the raw configs to validate my theories, I think the Dead Peer Detection (DPD) is to aggressive on a latent connection when its loaded.

/b

Options
2024-07-22 14:23:05

Interesting to see that you have a similar issue, Brian. Watching...

markus

Options
2024-07-22 15:46:09

@markie83 The issue seems to be only when its iOS on a 5g/LTE connection, when the VPN client is bound to that interface, I can teather to my phone on my laptop, and never see the issue, same with the iPad teathered.  I've switched to using OpenVPN for my devices, but still keen on fixing this issue.  Its so easy to replicate its kinda shocking that its not fixed yet.  Replicating the issue is usually the hardest part of fixing it.

/b

Options