L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests

L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests

14 Reply
Re:L2TP/ipsec VPN connections drop on upload speed tests
2024-07-22 16:00:18

@briankwest 

I wonder why it only happens while using LTE/5G? I did a test right now using my macbook tethered to my iPhone (5G), and had the same issue.

Will try through wifi tomorrow.

markus

Options
2024-07-22 16:23:25

@markie83 

it probably comes from the fact that the mobile operator uses cgnat and has blocked the necessary ports for L2TP. I have had problems with this many times so I no longer use L2TP, Wireguard or OpenVPN do not have this problem. contact your telephone operator and ask if they have a public ip APN that you can use.

Options
2024-07-24 11:21:42

Tested from a public wifi** now; same issue. I lose connection during the upload part of the speedtest.

Is WireGuard a better VPN-alternative on the ER605v2? Is it as easy to set up as the standard VPN? 

** I don't know how the public wifi is connected to the internet. 

Options
2024-07-25 02:22:01

Hi @MR.S 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

MR.S wrote

@markie83 

it probably comes from the fact that the mobile operator uses cgnat and has blocked the necessary ports for L2TP. I have had problems with this many times so I no longer use L2TP, Wireguard or OpenVPN do not have this problem. contact your telephone operator and ask if they have a public ip APN that you can use.

Agree. I don't think any cell vendors would provide a public v4 address now. It is so desperate to have public v4 addresses. I gotta pay for a public v4 address every month. And it is not static. It would cost more to get a public static v4.

I got 4 SIM cards from 3 different vendors and none of them gives a public IP. They are all CGNAT.

I would believe this is a problem with the specific device and it is the device issue instead of the VPN.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options