Omada client device connectivity issues.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-24 02:03:08
Model: OC200   ER605 (TL-R605)   SG2008P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I'm new to the Omada ecosystem, having only recently installed and setup my stack:

ER605 - router (v2.1.2)

OC200 - controller (v5.12.9)

SG2008P - poe switch (v3.0.5)

EAP615-Wall - AP - hardwired into switch (v1.1.6)

EAP655-Wall - AP - hardwired into switch (v1.0.2)

EAP650 - AP - hardwired into switch (v1.0.7)

All omada devices are updated to the latest firmware.

I have a pretty simple network setup, no ACL rules. Two WIFI SSIDs, one for 2.4/5ghz, one for 2.4ghz only.

I've enabled the following settings in Site Settings:

Mesh, Full-Sector DFS, Fast Roaming, Dual Band 11k Report, Prefer 5/6Ghz (band steering). Pretty much all other settings are default. I've also turned on OFDMA for each AP.

I'm noticing the following issues:

1. Everytime I change a network setting, many devices lose connection and either reconnects automatically or have to be manually reconnected via power cycling

2. Sometimes client devices would connect but not get any internet, this happens often on iphones and some smart home devices. If i switch the network from my 2.4/5ghz to my 2.4ghz only SSID, it works. It's almost as if Omada has blacklisted that device or something. I have not blocked any devices explicitly in Omada.

I'm wondering if i'm missing a setting, or have something setup incorrectly?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada client device connectivity issues.
2023-10-25 07:51:49

@jc22zhao 

Is it a similar issue like here?

How did you set the PMF? Have you changed different channel and channel widths? Do the AI WLAN Optimization to improve your network performance.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-10-25 12:25:27

@jc22zhao 

Turn off all of the below:

Mesh, Full-Sector DFS, Fast Roaming, Dual Band 11k Report, Prefer 5/6Ghz (band steering)

And retest.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-25 15:29:20

@Virgo 

All my WLANs have PMF set to "Capable". I have manually set the channels to 1,6,11 on the respective APs. Channel widths are set to auto. I have not tried AI WLAN optimization feature yet, is this helpful/useful for most people? If so, I can give it a try.

Options
2023-10-25 15:33:47

@KimcheeGUN 

I've disabled Mesh. For the other settings, I originally had them off and it was worse that it is now. It is actually relatively stable now. Each time i change a setting, i get tons of devices disconnecting needing to be manually reconnected. Is that the expected behaviour for omada where everytime a network setting is changed, devices get disconnected?

Options
2023-10-26 03:07:21

@jc22zhao 

Yes, the AI WLAN optimization feature is a new function released with the firmware iterations, you may give it a shot. 

With the AI-based WLAN optimization service, the controller will determine the optimum operation channels and power concluded from the scanning, considering the traffic, deployment size, and client factors.The connection to internet will be lost for several minutes during the scanning and optimization. 

Options
2023-10-26 15:16:02

@Virgo 

ok i'll give it a try this weekend when i have less usage on the network. Thanks! But so far, it is much more stable. All my devices are able to connect and remain connected.

One question though, is it expected that devices lose connection when i change network settings in the Omada Controller?

Options
2023-10-27 02:15:13

@jc22zhao 

It depends on what specific network settings you are changing? Which clients are disconnected after changing the settings?

Obviously, if you change the wifi password, then all devices will disconnect and require you to manually reconnect. wink

Options