ER605 V2 Force default WAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-06 16:57:51 - last edited 2023-10-08 13:10:32
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210

Hello,

I bought Router ER605 V2 (Firmware 2.1.2)  and I have my main WAN line plugged to default WAN port and a second WAN line plugged to WAN/LAN1 port.

In the Menu "Transmission\Load Balancing\Basic Settings" I disabled "Load Balancing" and in menu  "Transmission\Load Balancing\Link Backup" I managed Main WAN port as "Primary WAN" and WAN/LAN1 as "Backup WAN".

My problem is the default WAN port used by my router is my backup WAN line plugged on WAN\LAN1 but I don't wish that, i wish to force the default WAN port to default port to be use and the WAN/LAN1 as backup: WAN.

If in menu "Network\WAN\WAN/LAN1" I disconnect the link, then the default port move to main WAN port but I don't wish to disconnect the WAN/LAN1 because I wish to keep it alive in case of problem with my Main WAN line plugged to default WAN port.

Do you know how to fix this ?

Best regards,

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER605 V2 Force default WAN-Solution
2023-10-07 02:23:36 - last edited 2023-10-07 07:57:32

Hi @Boz37 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

This is an incorrect setup.

Boz37 wrote

In the Menu "Transmission\Load Balancing\Basic Settings" I disabled "Load Balancing" and in menu  "Transmission\Load Balancing\Link Backup" I managed Main WAN port as "Primary WAN" and WAN/LAN1 as "Backup WAN".

Refer to this link for extra knowledge and readings:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/621018?replyId=1251914

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-07 16:11:18 - last edited 2023-10-08 13:11:19

@Clive_A 

Then I enabled "Load Balancing" in Menu "Transmission\Load Balancing\Basic Settings" and in menu  "Transmission\Load Balancing\Link Backup" I ticked "Failover (Enable Backup Link when All Primary WANs Failed" instead of "Failover (Enable Backup Link when Any Primary WANs Failed".
Now it's ok, the main WAN port is the default used port, thank you wink

But, I don't understand the difference between "Failover (Enable Backup Link when Any Primary WANs Failed" and "Failover (Enable Backup Link when All Primary WANs Failed".

And Also why it's necessary to enable load balancing if I wish only Failover.

Could you explain me that ?

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
2023-10-07 02:23:36 - last edited 2023-10-07 07:57:32

Hi @Boz37 

This is an incorrect setup.

Boz37 wrote

Refer to this link for extra knowledge and readings:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/621018?replyId=1251914

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-07 16:11:18 - last edited 2023-10-08 13:11:19

@Clive_A 

Then I enabled "Load Balancing" in Menu "Transmission\Load Balancing\Basic Settings" and in menu  "Transmission\Load Balancing\Link Backup" I ticked "Failover (Enable Backup Link when All Primary WANs Failed" instead of "Failover (Enable Backup Link when Any Primary WANs Failed".

But, I don't understand the difference between "Failover (Enable Backup Link when Any Primary WANs Failed" and "Failover (Enable Backup Link when All Primary WANs Failed".

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER605 V2 Force default WAN
2023-10-08 01:45:47

Hi @Boz37 

Boz37 wrote

@Clive_A 

Best regards.

When you have more than 2 WANs, you'll see the point of the differences between the two modes. Certain people require that feature and that's why it's there.

The failover is based on Load Balancing. If you don't have load balancing, why would it switch back? Load balancing involves the scenario where you have at least two lines. Online Detection as a supplementary tool to test your Internet connectivity.

Options
Re:ER605 V2 Force default WAN
2023-10-08 13:08:48

@Clive_A 
ok, thank you for the explaination wink

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 860

Replies: 4

Related Articles