ER605 v2.0 - Consistantly becoming Unresponsive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-17 14:52:50
Tags: #WAN Setup #DHCP Service #Troubleshooting
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2 Build 20230210 Rel.62992

I know there are various other posts in this community about ER605 v2.0 (and even ER605 v1.0) talking about Disconnecting messages, and also the unit becoming unresponsive.

I've been having a very similar issue, where randomly throughout the night my whole network becomes unresponsive. I cannot plug in directly into the device and obtain an IP address anymore, the logs don't indicate any issues, other than when the disconnect happens, the log fills with client disconnect messages, followed by "Router is down". That it. If I look at the CPU/Memory load for the downtime period its blank as if the whole device is unresponsive. I've tried the following:

- I setup a nightly reboot at 3am everyday, this doesnt help

- I changed my DHCP range from 192.x to 10.x

- I've verified that my ISPs internet connection is working

I have the following hardware:
- TP-Link ER605 v2
- TP-Link Omada Hardware Controller
- 3x TP-Link EAP610 Ultra-Slim

During the time, all clients no longer are able to talk to each other, the WiFi stops responding, the network is broken. If I power cycle the router only, the whole network will begin working after it reboots.

Do I have a defective unit? I've never had such a hard time with a simple router/switch/DHCP situation. What should I do?

Options
14 Reply
Re:ER605 v2.0 - Consistantly becoming Unresponsive
2023-06-17 18:24:47
Sounds like you've got the same issue as me. I'm going to have to RMA the device because I cannot have a router that routinely stops responding every hour 3 times in a row.
Options
2023-06-19 08:09:52

Hello @Retzel,

What did you have to do to recover the connection when the issue happened? Would it work automatically after some time?

Did you have any Gateway ACL and mDNS settings?

Please check the CPU/Memory load when this issue happens and do not reboot the router.

You may also test whether the Ethernet cables within your network are all good.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-06-19 15:16:31

@Hank21 

- The procedure is always to power cycle the router, always. If I don't touch the router, it is permanently unresponsive. I even have a daily reboot schedule that is missed during the window.

- I have neither Gateway ACL and mDNS settings setup at this time

- There is no recorded CPU/Memory load during this window, the device isnt recording any data, after the fact, there is just a gap in data.
- All my ethernet cables are probably good, the network runs very optimially under normal conditions, just randomly during the nights, the entire router becomes unresponsive. I cannot directly connect to it in any way. It as if the software on the unit isnt even running anymore.

Options
2023-06-20 02:02:49

@Retzel 

Hi, it is a little bit weird, can you back up the settings and reset the ER605 for test?

After resetting the ER605, you can test it before you restore the backup files first and test it again after you restore the backup files to do the comparison test.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-20 02:06:58

@Virgo 

I will try. I have previously reset the entire configuration of the network (all devices) to factory, and re-built the network by hand and it gave the same results. I guess I'll report back in a few days to see if anything changes. This has been a long term problem since getting the device 6+ months ago, mainly, i've just been reading so many posts on the internet saying how flakey the software is on these devices, so was waiting for a firmware update, but never posted myself. But recently, its just been happening so much.

Options
2023-06-20 02:57:19

@Retzel Try changing the default DNS in the LAN.

Options
2023-06-30 16:09:11

@Virgo 

The router stopped responding last night and the network became unresponsive again after doing the recommended steps you gave me.

Options
2023-06-30 16:52:28

@Retzel hi I think a RMA is needed for your case. Try to replace it with a new one and let see

Options
2023-06-30 19:27:03

@Retzel 

What switch are you using?  Sounds like you got a loop in the network...  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-06-30 22:01:02

@KimcheeGUN Just a non-managed 24 port TP Link switch with lines that run to individual rooms, i don't think its possible to have a loop.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2050

Replies: 14

Tags

WAN Setup DHCP Service
Troubleshooting
Related Articles