ER8411 VPN Client broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER8411 VPN Client broken

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
66 Reply
Re:ER8411 VPN Client broken
2024-02-21 07:45:29

Hi @B_K_ 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

B_K_ wrote

@MR.S Also confirming that OpenVPN is broken on 8411. It does work really slowly in TCP mode. I have tested my 8411 as a Client connecting to a 3rd party VPN provider.

TCP is slower than UDP. Any other information you can provide?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-25 06:55:46

@Clive_A 

UDP doesn't work at all to connect as an OpenVPN client with the 8411.

Options
2024-02-25 08:59:57

B_K_ wrote

@Clive_A 

@B_K_ 

I have to make a few comments here. this is getting ridiculous TP-Link.

I am quite shocked by TP-Link and everyone who works there, now they still asking about the same thing they have been asking about for 1.5 years, to be completely honest, this shows that they do not take feedback from users very seriously. I have so many emails to TP-Link support and to the forum about this. there are also many others who have reported this problem so why ask the same thing again and again??

UDP doesn't work with OpenVPN can they be that hard to test????? it was actually TP-Link support that told me to use TCP because UDP doesn't work with ER8411 in NOVEMBER 2022, so what's the problem now??

I even posted a copy of this email on the forum to help other forum member but @Clive_A ordred me to delete the post so that no one else would get the same information about this that I got from Support.

is it not possible to solve UDP problem so tell us that or is support and forum employees instructed to ask customers the same questions again and again to pretend they are working on the case?

Com one TP-LINk this one shold be easy to reproduse in your lab, if you want to fix this, it should have been done in DECEMBER 2022,

When it comes to slowness, this is also something that TP-Link will not listen to. I hardly know what to say other than that TP-Link does not listen to the customers and the feedback from the customers.

TP-Link calls it flagship but OpenVPN is actually faster on the ER706W than it is on the ER8411..

Options
2024-02-26 05:54:06

Hi @MR.S 

MR.S wrote

B_K_ wrote

@Clive_A 

@B_K_ 

I have to make a few comments here. this is getting ridiculous TP-Link.

I am quite shocked by TP-Link and everyone who works there, now they still asking about the same thing they have been asking about for 1.5 years, to be completely honest, this shows that they do not take feedback from users very seriously. I have so many emails to TP-Link support and to the forum about this. there are also many others who have reported this problem so why ask the same thing again and again??

UDP doesn't work with OpenVPN can they be that hard to test????? it was actually TP-Link support that told me to use TCP because UDP doesn't work with ER8411 in NOVEMBER 2022, so what's the problem now??

I even posted a copy of this email on the forum to help other forum member but @Clive_A ordred me to delete the post so that no one else would get the same information about this that I got from Support.

is it not possible to solve UDP problem so tell us that or is support and forum employees instructed to ask customers the same questions again and again to pretend they are working on the case?

Com one TP-LINk this one shold be easy to reproduse in your lab, if you want to fix this, it should have been done in DECEMBER 2022,

When it comes to slowness, this is also something that TP-Link will not listen to. I hardly know what to say other than that TP-Link does not listen to the customers and the feedback from the customers.

TP-Link calls it flagship but OpenVPN is actually faster on the ER706W than it is on the ER8411..

For 1.5 years, you have not been able to offer me anything useful because of your privacy issue. You cannot share anything with me. From the ticket to the forum post, I did not have anything useful from you to share with the dev team.

I have been working with the business team before and I am aware of your issue raised before. You were not able to provide a file because of your company's security compliance.

I DID NOT ask you to delete anything. Quote me or paste me the link for your accusation of me doing that. I can find the deleted information and what would be the timestamp you accuse me of that?

If your issue is the same as the OP, I would not intervene in your discussion or freedom of speech. I have not forced anyone or manually delete anyone's post unless it is spam. If it is an active member, I would recommend being careful with the words and description.
Since you are accusing me of this, I would require very thorough and clear evidence of that. Or I will consult with the forum team about your accusation on this.

The team deems this is necessary, I will go for a remote session once I have confirmed with him.

Aside from your accusation of me and his report on the UDP, there is nothing constructive from you, that's the reason why it is on hold. Not everyone is reporting this to us and there are two sides to the function - work and don't work. So it doesn't work, and add one more report, but still requires a process to verify that it fits what you originally reported.

You've worked as a support, is this very demanding to understand? I got this you reported this here and many times elsewhere but what I learned is that the team does not find it constructive from you and this was not considered as high importance after times and times asking for permission for a remote or a backup to reproduce what you described as an issue. That makes any sense to you?

(I have taken care of your ticket on OpenVPN.)

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-26 05:57:33

Hi @B_K_ 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

B_K_ wrote

@Clive_A 

Simply does not work. Anything else you can provide for me? What VPN server do you have? OpenVPN version? Third-party one like common VPN providers - NordVPN or hosted on another brand router?

Can confirm it works with a cellphone or other platforms yet?

Are you running into the exact, I mean exact, problem like MR.S does?

What controller do you use? Any luck to share your backup with us? Will pass this to the test team to reproduce what you reported as best we can do.

Let me know if you can share a backup. If we need a remote session down the road, will you cooperate with us?

Options
2024-02-26 06:29:25

Hi @MR.S 

weewillywinky wrote

@Fae 

Yes i am on the latest firmware which was barely worth releasing don't you think ? I don't know what your development department is doing but you are destroying any potential omada has completely.

I can not recommend your products to any of our customers currently and am myself ready to ditch the lot and go elsewhere.

TKID230134134

So, what happened to the OP?

He needed firmware that OVPN supports username and password which in his case, his VPN server requires username and password. That's the last reply from him.

Support team followed it up and no further replies.

In the firmware update of 1.1.0 released on July 11th, the OpenVPN username and password were added. I believe the beta was released earlier than that timestamp.

ER8411 V1_1.0.4_Build 20230629 Beta Firmware For Trial (Released on Jul 4th, 2023)-[Thread Closed]

So this issue above is not the same as yours.

You started this in another post asking about the update on OpenVPN and replied that the link is this post. It is completely different.

Nov 2022 - TKID221144012 was issued.

Aside from all of these, you reported the OpenVPN issue in Nov 2022. And from that time, we offered you a beta privately to the issue you reported.

• Feb 23rd, 2023, sent you a beta. We asked for details about your network
  • Feb 24th, 2023, you replied that you CANNOT share the backup and ignored our request on your network diagram.
  • Nov 14th, 2023, you wanted to follow it up. Rep asked for further details, you replied the same. Issue was what I discussed with you on Ubuntu Pi VPN server.
  • Nov 27th, 2023, another beta was offered.
  • Nov 27th, 2023, you replied on the same day that it did not work for the OpenVPN UDP server on your PiVPN. Like what I tested. Then replies afterwards are about the speed.

(In this reply on Nov 27th, you also mentioned that many people reported OpenVPN UDP does not work on both Reddit and the forum. Maybe from other sources as well. But this is not true.

They are not the same case. People would simply react, "oh, I got a third-party VPN server and it does not work, so there is a problem" and from your judgment, you would assume them to be the same case like yours. Unlikely, the OP, his issue was about the username and password which were missing at that time.)

So I would assume that you were implying that this Pi-VPN has not worked since Feb 2023 which was the case you always looking for an answer to?

Options
2024-02-26 07:14:27

@Clive_A 

Hi also want to dive in here again.

I also had a ticket TKID231015186.

I already sent VPNServer Logs and Traffic logs (Wireshark).

The only solution which was offered me after that, to either use TCP or go to Standalone mode.

As a backup would provide usernames and credentials for the VPN, I am also unable to share that!

Server is OpenVPN 2.4.7 on Ubuntu Linux.

Client is ER8411 v1.0

Firmware Version:

1.2.0 Build 20231214 Rel.77035

Omada Controller on Linux 5.13.23

As I was swiching to a completely different solution, I don't care any longer about that issue, but just tested, it still exists.

Connection is established but no Traffic can pass via UDP OpenVPN.

As the connection is working with any other client (Unify Hardware, any OpenVPN Client on Windows, Linux and iOS and the older TP-LINK ER-7206 in controller mode) I can really assume, that it is a software issue on the ER8411.

Regards,

Matthias

Omada Controller Linux 5.14.26.1 TL-SG2008 v3.0 - 3.0.9 EAP653(EU) v1.0 - 1.0.14 EAP650-Outdoor(EU)v1.0 - 1.1.4 EAP610-Outdoor(EU) v1.0 - 1.2.5 EAP615-Wall(EU) v1.0 - 1.2.4
Options
2024-02-26 07:45:35

@Clive_A 

why would I lie about you asking me to delete a post, 
I can't find the post where you asked me to delete the post from support, but I had pasted the text from the support email and you asked me to delete this because of the confidentiality that was at the bottom of the email.

I hadn't seen this confidentiality note in email from support so I deleted my post.

But the whole point was that I posted an email from sopport that said I had to use TCP, so when support says this, it should be a known problem.

I could write a lot but I can't bear it, I and several others have reported the problem many times, the only thing TP-Link does is blame the customer for not doing the job for you.

I'm not looking for an argument, but it must be allowed to speak up when the problem has persisted for 1.5 years.

Options
2024-02-26 08:05:34

Hi @MR.S

MR.S wrote

@Clive_A 

why would I lie about you asking me to delete a post, 
I can't find the post where you asked me to delete the post from support, but I had pasted the text from the support email and you asked me to delete this because of the confidentiality that was at the bottom of the email.

I hadn't seen this confidentiality note in email from support so I deleted my post.

But the whole point was that I posted an email from sopport that said I had to use TCP, so when support says this, it should be a known problem.

I could write a lot but I can't bear it, I and several others have reported the problem many times, the only thing TP-Link does is blame the customer for not doing the job for you.

I'm not looking for an argument, but it must be allowed to speak up when the problem has persisted for 1.5 years.

I asked you to delete that one because of the confidentiality and that is correct. I don't recommend you post that and if you insist to post that, that would be a deal breaker.

I mean I am not silencing you but you can iterate that with your own words instead of pasting the original text.

Now, this new member is about the third-party VPN and I am asking what kind. I am afraid that the case is third-party compability.

It does not work with certain third-party providers, which would be a foreseeable result.

About the Pi-VPN thing, am I correct about your seeking - what you asked for a year, is the Pi-VPN? You are looking for a result of the Pi-VPN as the server and UDP? Which was the topic you and I discussed before.

Options
2024-02-26 08:18:41

Hi @MatthiasL22 

MatthiasL22 wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi also want to dive in here again.

I also had a ticket TKID231015186.

I already sent VPNServer Logs and Traffic logs (Wireshark).

The only solution which was offered me after that, to either use TCP or go to Standalone mode.

As a backup would provide usernames and credentials for the VPN, I am also unable to share that!

Server is OpenVPN 2.4.7 on Ubuntu Linux.

Client is ER8411 v1.0

Firmware Version:

1.2.0 Build 20231214 Rel.77035

Omada Controller on Linux 5.13.23

As I was swiching to a completely different solution, I don't care any longer about that issue, but just tested, it still exists.

Connection is established but no Traffic can pass via UDP OpenVPN.

As the connection is working with any other client (Unify Hardware, any OpenVPN Client on Windows, Linux and iOS and the older TP-LINK ER-7206 in controller mode) I can really assume, that it is a software issue on the ER8411.

Regards,

Matthias

What the rep said was to try standalone to eliminate any potential misconfiguration and check whether the tunnel is up or not. You can try it in standalone mode while keeping your existing config on the controller.

If you may, here's the timestamp, Oct. 24th, 2023. Should be early in the morning when you receive his reply. May you re-read what he said and get what he's trying to say.

In your reply, can you tell me what you set in the Local Network in these areas?

Do you make a connection in TCP?

OpenVPN server is hosted on the Linux, the whole contents are from OpenVPN official, correct?

Same config, regardless TCP and UDP, both work fine on all other devices you mentioned. Correct?

Expect your straightforward answers to them.

About the last rep of that ticket, I am not sure about his status now. If necessary, we can further analyze this.

Options