Ubiquity compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ubiquity compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:Ubiquity compatibility-Solution
2020-07-03 01:45:14 - last edited 2020-07-06 16:30:33

Byteguy wrote

Now if he installs an EAP225-outdoor, it will try to join the MESH. I believe I can keep it from doing so using the web UI, can't I?

You can refuse to adopt the EAP to the mesh when it shows up as either »Pending (Wireless)« or »Isolated« (depending on the state of the EAP). The boat owner cannot join the mesh without being adopted or linked to an uplink mesh node.

BTW--was scanning for rogue APs and we have a bunch. Probably the scan is picking up all the other devices that the boaters are using to snag the wireless signal from the MESH.

Sacnning for rogue APs just performs a wireless survey. It will list any nearby AP and no, they need not try to snag the wireless signal from the mesh if they are listed as rogue APs.

IF his AP acts strictly as his own access point, it should not mess with the MESH, should it? And is the EAP225 capable of this?

You mean if it just uses it as an AP w/o being adopted as a mesh node? No, it won't mess with your mesh, but it will still be listed as »Pending (Wireless)«.

BTW: The EAP indeed uses station (STA) aka client mode to connect to a mesh in addition to AP mode. Difference to standard client mode is that you as an admin can prevent to have this EAP join the mesh.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Ubiquity compatibility
2020-07-03 13:45:10
I really need to visit with this guy to see what hardware he actually has. If he has his own wireless router, as I suspect he does, then it might be capable of accepting an external antenna. The marina manager told me that he was just going to buy an EAP225 and have me hook it up. I told her not so fast. I don't want to have to manage his AP and I sure don't want the interference that might result from having two active APs within 30 feet of each other! I also need to let him know that I work for the marina maintaining the network. If I go on his boat, he goes on the clock!
Options
2020-07-03 16:42:52

@R1D2 That would possibly be the easiest thing at this point. He is used to using the Ubiquiti AP in his last marina, so it wouldn't be much of a thing to install another here. As long as I can just limit it to being a client away from the MESH we should be fine.

Thanks

Art

Options
2020-07-04 07:53:22

@Byteguy 

This is what he envisioned. Use the AP to get the signal and use the ethernet port to run the signal down belowdecks to his router.

Now if he installs an EAP225-outdoor, it will try to join the MESH. I believe I can keep it from doing so using the web UI, can't I?

Here are three points you may pay attention to.

1. Omada EAP product is only an access point, while EAP Mesh is just a software feature that will allow us to deploy EAP wirelessly.

2. To join the MESH network, the EAP225-outdoor should show up in the Pending list and then Adopt from the Omada Controller that manages the existing EAP MESH.

3. EAP Mesh feature is enable by default, only supported and configured on Controller but not on EAPs in Standalone mode.

So if you manged to stop the EAP225-outdoor from joining the EAP MESH network, the EAP225-outdoor would not be able to wirelessly connect the existing AP then feed internet to the router via ethernet cable. But it must hardwire to the existing network via Ethernet cable for Internet connection, working as an AP.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-07-04 10:44:20

Hi @Fae,

There are a number of applications were it would be helpful if standalone EAPs (such as the EAP225-Outdoor, and others) could be configured to work in a wireless "client" or "bridge" or "station" mode (I'm intending these as synonyms).  That is to say, to associate with an existing SSID of someone else's network (like a normal STA) -- whether the Outdoor unit is managed through Omada or the Web UI.  Devices like your CPE series and the travel router series (TL-WR902AC) already support this capabiity. 

There are manu circumstances in which boats, RV's/campers/caravans, small huts, security cameras, etc. may which to use an outdoor access point (like the EAP225-Outdoor) mounted to on the exterior of dwelling to get improved reception and wireless performance when connecting to other people's wireless networks such as campgrounds, marinas, parks, etc.  Users would then connect use the ethernet connection of the EAP225-Outdoor unit to run wiring into their dwelling to host multiple devices.  Often these dwellings are constructed of metal and Wifi reception inside is poor.

The existing CPE series and the travel router series (TL-WR902AC) also support a "router mode" capability which enables them to perform NAT and DHCP capabilities as well.  While it would be nice if EAP's also supported, I realize this requires additional capabilities and overhead.

Alternatively, having a CPE style product with external antenna connections so that one could choose to use either directional or omnidirectional antennas for various applications.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Options
2020-07-04 10:55:03 - last edited 2020-07-04 11:08:24

JSchnee21 wrote

Alternatively, having a CPE style product with external antenna connections so that one could choose to use either directional or omnidirectional antennas for various applications.

As I wrote, there are Pharos devices which allow to connect external antennas: WBS210 and WBS510.

You can connect external sector antennas, dish antennas and (for WBS210 only) an omnidirectional antenna. Those antennas have been specially designed for Pharos WBS. Of course, you can also mount any other antenna, e.g. TL-ANT2424B or whatever.

The Wireless Base Stations (WBS) use the very same firmware – even identical firmware files – as CPEs do.

See https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/outdoor-radio/wbs210/

and https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/antenna-and-accessory/tl-ant2410mo/

You can even mount an EAP110-Outdoor to this antenna TL-ANT 2410MO, it's mount has been designed to fit on all Pharos antennas.

You could also mount an EAP225-Outdoor on either a 2.4GHz or a 5GHz Pharos antenna if you disable the opposite radio (Pharos antennas are not dual-band antennas).

Options
2020-07-04 11:50:32

Hi @R1D2,

Sorry I missed your prior suggestion.  Yes, the WBS210 with an external antenna does seem like a good option.  Though it seems like this product is getting a bit long in the tooth (2.4GHz 802.11n only)

Though I'm having some difficulty finding these products in the USA.  The WBS210 is available from Amazon and NewEgg.com, but not CDW.com nor SHI.com. 

www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-WBS210-300Mbps-Outdoor-Wireless/dp/B0119TXRVO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=WBS210&qid=1593862557&sr=8-1

www.newegg.com/tp-link-wbs210/p/N82E16833704330?Description=WBS210%20&cm_re=WBS210-_-33-704-330-_-Product&quicklink=true

But  I cannot find the TL-ANT2410MO at all.  Though it looks like it might be a new product. 

-Jonathan

Options
2020-07-04 11:55:44

The WBS510 might be a better option if 5.8GHz is available, as one could potentially use up to 40MHz links -- though for Byteguy this wouldn't matter as he is limiting client bandwidth anyway.

www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/outdoor-radio/wbs510/

Regardless, a more modern, dual band 802.11ac capable outdoor product with client mode would still be useful.

Options
2020-07-04 12:33:22 - last edited 2020-07-04 12:47:34

JSchnee21 wrote

But  I cannot find the TL-ANT2410MO at all.  Though it looks like it might be a new product. 

It's not new, but for reasons unknown to me TP-Link didn't offer this antenna in western countries at first. I could convince TP-Link to offer TL-ANT2410MO in Germany, so you probably could order it from amazon.de through your amazon.com account (this works the other way around for me, so I suppose it should work for you, too).

But beware of shopkeepers who charge outrageously high prices for this antenna. End-user prices are around 110€ to 140€ currently. I saw shops trying to sell this antenna for 280€.

Unfortunately, shipping costs from Germany to the U.S. are very expensive, much more expensive than the other way around (not so for Amazon I guess), else I would offer to ship you TL-ANT2410MO, since it does not depend on regions (we're an official TP-Link reseller/OEM).

OTOH, you could ask TP-Link U.S., probably they have a few antennas in their U.S. warehouse or can offer them on request.

It's pretty cool antenna, see https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/107452

Regardless, a more modern, dual band 802.11ac capable outdoor product with client mode would still be useful

CPE710 is already in the pipeline. You can see it here, it's currently in FCC approval phase, so I guess it will hit the Americas soon.

I don't know whether there will be a WBS coming out which offers AC mode. Maybe Fae can enlighten us about the Pharos road map.

Options
2020-07-06 02:25:20

@JSchnee21 

Thanks so much for the valued feedback and suggestion. I have forwarded this to the related department who will evaluate it. 

Hi @Fae,

There are a number of applications were it would be helpful if standalone EAPs (such as the EAP225-Outdoor, and others) could be configured to work in a wireless "client" or "bridge" or "station" mode (I'm intending these as synonyms).  That is to say, to associate with an existing SSID of someone else's network (like a normal STA) -- whether the Outdoor unit is managed through Omada or the Web UI.  Devices like your CPE series and the travel router series (TL-WR902AC) already support this capabiity. 

There are manu circumstances in which boats, RV's/campers/caravans, small huts, security cameras, etc. may which to use an outdoor access point (like the EAP225-Outdoor) mounted to on the exterior of dwelling to get improved reception and wireless performance when connecting to other people's wireless networks such as campgrounds, marinas, parks, etc.  Users would then connect use the ethernet connection of the EAP225-Outdoor unit to run wiring into their dwelling to host multiple devices.  Often these dwellings are constructed of metal and Wifi reception inside is poor.

The existing CPE series and the travel router series (TL-WR902AC) also support a "router mode" capability which enables them to perform NAT and DHCP capabilities as well.  While it would be nice if EAP's also supported, I realize this requires additional capabilities and overhead.

Thank you,

Jonathan

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Related Articles