KS230 kit with load wire in both boxes

a week ago
Model: KS230 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi all, I am strugging to set up my KS230 kit. I've installed Kasa smart switches for all the single-pole switches in my house, but this is my first 3-way setup. This pair of switches controls 3 ceiling lights in a hallway.

The main switch has an extra red wire which appears to be a load wire. Here is what I can tell:

Secondary:

1 red and 2 black wires. One of the black wires is labeled 'common' on the original switch, so I labeled that as the load wire. The other two I assume are the travelers. On the original switch, they are directly across from each other.

Main:

2 red and 2 black wires. I have identified the live wire with a voltmeter (always on 120V). The other black wire always has some voltage on it regardless of whether the lights are on or off. I labeled that as a traveler. Similarly, one of the red wires also has some voltage on it regardless of the switch state, and I labeled that as a traveler. The other red wire has 0V when the light is off and 120V when the light is on, so I'm assuming that's a load -- what do I do with this wire? For now I have left it disconnected since there is no load wire on the Kasa main switch.

Both boxes have a bundle of neutral wires in the back. Since only the main Kasa switch has a neutral wire, I am using the neutral from the main box only. 

When I turn on the power, the main switch has a blinking red ring, and the secondary switch doesn't light up at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:KS230 kit with load wire in both boxes
a week ago
Update: I just discovered a third switch dowstairs that I'd never used before. So this is actually a 4-way setup, which won't work with this kit. Bummer. Has anyone figured out how to get 4-way dimming to work? Would it be OK to return this kit even after using up the wire labels?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 39

Replies: 1

Related Articles