Hs200 failure, blinking lights, had been fine

3 weeks ago
Model: Kasa HS200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

Hello! We have about two dozen of the hs200(us) smart switches. Different hardware versions. Two on fw 1.0.11 and hardware version 5.6 VN1 have failed.

They had been working normally for over 8 months. One failed, I replaced it and didn't think much of it. Then the second one failed.

The green circle led and the wifi light both blink rapidly, if I press the reset button, the blinking leds stop, but then the lights on load flicker rapidly, once per second. The relay in the switch is heard rapidly turning on and off. The only way it stops is to shut off the breaker and remove the switch.

I haven't found a post similar, so I'm hoping this post will get some interest.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Hs200 failure, blinking lights, had been fine
3 weeks ago

@Dzei I just had the same thing happen. I have a bunch of these. This set was the most recent ones. They had been working for 3-4 months. Tonight one switch just started switching the lights on and off. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@Dzei I have the same problem after 14 month of the switch working perfectly.  Did you find a solution?

Options
2 weeks ago

@Dzei  I have the exact same scenario that I noticed just a few days ago. HS200 that's been working fine for more than a year is now exhibiting the same behavior that you've expressed. Any updates from the company? 

Options
2 weeks ago

@Tom1166 

All, no solution, no communication from corporate.

Options
a week ago

@Dzei same issue here with 2 out of 20+ switches suddenly stopped working. Both of them that died are newer, I have some of the older ones that are larger and they have been fine for a few years. I can return the faulty ones under warranty, but it's cheaper to buy new ones than to pay shipping to send them back. I'm pretty annoyed with it, since buying new ones seems like I may just get bad ones again.

Options
Wednesday

Same here.  HS-200 been working fine for over a year and suddenly was flashing green.  Reset button just turned "off" the switch, but it went back to blinking green only.  Trying to manually turn on/off lights make it rapidly click and flicker the lights.  Had to repeatedly press the button to make it stop. 

Based on the replies here...I didn't feel like an answer was coming soon, so I replaced it since I didn't want to kids to accidentally press.  New switch working as intended including firmware update upon install.  

Options
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

@Dzei So after looking at a few similar posts, including ones with premature failures on kasa smart plugs as well, it looks like the problem is some bad capacitors that were used in several of their devices for a while. I popped mine open and sure enough, both of the ones that stopped working had bulging capacitors. Looks like the bad caps are 470uf 10v. I bought some from Amazon for 8 bucks for 20, so I can fix my 2 that stopped working and have plenty of extras if any more die (both of the bad switches were from a 3 pack, so I'm sure the other one is going to go soon too). I'll report back after I replace the caps, but from what I'm seeing I can pretty much guarantee that's the problem. I can't link the ones I bought apparently, but they are 6.3x12mm, which should be the same size as the original for those that don't mind some light soldering.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 232

Replies: 7

Related Articles