Smart switch can not turn on outside lights

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-13 16:41:43
Model: Kasa HS200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Connected the cables as.white with white, green with green and blacks to live/load connections in switch (no.particular order).

The timers works well with the internet I I can check them with the app.

The issue is that when I pressed the switch the exterior lamp do know turn on. Checked the cables of the lamp there is no current.

Help.is welcome to solved this issue. Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:Smart switch can not turn on outside lights
2023-04-13 17:00:22

@vitorio,

Have you been able to determine if the wiring is in a normal setup? 

Usually when outdoor switches are not working, it is a result of the wiring being done differently than it would be for indoor use. I would try to double check the lines and load at both the light and switch, as it is possible that the power is not going through the route that you were expecting.

I would also double-check the connections at your switch, it is possible that the previous owner made changes to the wiring without indicating so with the color of the wires.

Options
2023-04-13 17:44:53

@Riley_S 

THANKS. Maybe need the help of an electrician. 

Before installing the smart switch the outside lights had power.

After installing the smart switch, which I just removed the cables from the old switch and connected then to the smart switch the outside lights do not have power.

A mystery to me. Since my app works well controlling the lights from My IPhone.

Options
2023-04-13 19:34:30

@vitorio,

I would recommend checking for a firmware update to your device, especially since the light can function normally, it's just the physical interactions having an issue. I did not realize that the light still functioned from the app, I thought that the state of the device in the app changed without the light changing.

Double-check all of your settings in your app, as there are options to change the function of the physical buttons. Otherwise:

Please First Check for any Available Firmware Updates to the Device; what is the Current Firmware the Device is Running?

If you do not see any, it is recommended to reset the device to factory defaults and try again.

If the device still is not seeing an update, you may try either changing the DNS server of your network, or connect the plug/phone to another network and try again. Your device may not be able to see an update.

When you press the physical button, is there a change indicated in the app?

When you turn the light on and off from the app, does the indicator light on the device change status?

Options
2023-04-13 20:58:30

@Riley_S 

The lights the function with the app are other lights outside but the one I am talking is the one outside beside the door  This specifically do not have power.

Will check the app to see if there is an option to turn the power on of this lamp in specific.

Thanks for the help 

Options
2023-04-13 22:39:11

@vitorio 

When you press the physical button, is there a change indicated in the app?

When you turn the light on and off from the app, does the indicator light on the device change status?

The answer is yes. The physical button turns a light to on when push to off, and light off when push the physical button to on. But still without power the external light.

Options
2023-04-15 19:38:51 - last edited 2023-04-15 19:46:38

@vitorio 

Before installing the smart switch the old switch controlled:

1- the outside ceiling lights of the house (6 lights) 

2- also turn on/off the lights in front of the door ( 2 lights)

After installed the smart switch:

1- the outside ceiling lights turn on/off pushing the physically smart switch and with the app.

.2- the lights outside in front of the door do not turn on/off. With or manually with the smart switch button. No power.

Checked (tested) the cables that goes to the outside lamp and have no power.

The app is updated 

What is the mystery?

Options
2023-04-16 23:01:18
Maybe there is a short circuit and the cable is damage somehow.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 771

Replies: 7

Related Articles