Technical Question for TPLink Staff

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-12 20:59:33
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The Device itself and the documentation shows the HS210 can be installed at either the Line-Origin End OR the Load end (and indeed the common terminal on the device is marked Line/Load) 

Now obviously if connected at the Load end, that common terminal will NOT have voltage when the device is OFF 

So .... does the device (controller and WifI) derive voltage from either of the Traveler connections alternatively to the common terminal in order to maintain power to the device control? 

Intuitively it must - otherwise it would not work. But a confirmation would be appreciated. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Technical Question for TPLink Staff
2021-03-16 22:59:33

@Bethel.8009 

Here is what I was able to gather:

If you only replace one switch in a 3-way circuit with HS210, the HS210 must be connected to the live wire in the circuit. If you connect the HS210 to the load wire, it will have power only when the ordinary switch is in "on" position, and lose power when the manual switch is to the other position.  

If you use two HS210s to control a light, both the HS210 connected to the load end and the HS210 connected to the live wire can get consistent power.

Options
2021-03-16 23:30:56

Thanks @Tony -  OK - I think it's misleading to have it state that it can be connected at either end. 

And the bottom line is, there is no need to have two since one (connected at the line end) is all that is required. 

So why would you even want to connect one at the load end at all???? 

I think the documentation needs to better reflect this.

My general advice is - just connect at the line end and you will not have any problems! :) 

I have a 4-way set-up - and my HS210 is only connected at the Line end and everything works as it should - it will work 'smartly' or dumb, responding accordingly to any switch of the three being manually operated. i.e. any of the three switches will turn the light on or off and even if a manual switch turns the light off (after the HS210 has turned it on) it will still come back on whether by that same manual or the other manual switch or by the Smart control. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-03-23 21:56:44

@Bethel.8009 

Instances where the switch was installed at the load end were usually because that was where the convenient switch was located or the switch that had the most accessibility or someone didn't know that was the load side or didn't realize there was a second switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 261

Replies: 3

Related Articles