Votes

4 way switch

Votes

4 way switch

135 Reply
Re:4 way switch
2024-02-21 22:51:32

@septer012 3-way switch works fine at either end of a circuit. A 4-way switch is needed for any in-between switches in the "chain" if you want them to all match. I want mine to all match (plus the little round "nightlight" option in the off state is a nice feature) so I wish Kasa would release a 4-way switch. Kasa, you KNOW such a product would sell, so MAKE IT.

Options
2024-03-22 12:55:46

@Indecision I'm curious did you get the V1 dimmer switches to work? Also how do you add all three switches to the app? When I set up just a normal three way it detected the pair and was done. Does the third one just add to it?

Options
2024-03-22 12:59:04 - last edited 2024-03-22 12:59:29

@judetf How do you get all three to add to the app and work as one switch? I haven't used the v1 version but the v2 version just connected as a pair. I've ordered 2 v1 kits in anticipation I can get this working. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:4 way switch
2024-08-11 16:04:46

@board4mic I followed this with 4 switches.  I have 2 3 ways on the ends, and 2 4 ways in the middle.   Power and load each on separate 3 way.   I put smart dimmer kit (230) on each end.   Those work fine.   If I flip a dumb 4 way it says there is a wiring issue and shuts down the smart switches.   Any thoughts?

Options
2024-08-19 01:06:16

Please critique my plan.

I have a 4-way foyer light. One switch is upstairs and two switches are on the first floor not too far from each other. I use Alexa voice commands for controlling my lights including temperature and brightness. I really don't need two switches on the ground floor.

My plan is to remove the 4-way switch by connecting it's two black wires together and the red wires together. This is in essence converting 3 switches to two switches. I do not see any reason why it would not work. Further, I can identify 4-way switch by looking at how many wires connect to the switch. If it has 4 wires connected to it (not including ground) it is the 4-way switch that I should remove. 

Please let me know if my plan will work.

Thanks,

Jay

Options
2024-08-19 01:10:09

@Jay89 Your plan should work. I've read or watched a video somewhere where that was a solution. You'll just wanna cover up the 4 way spot with a blank plate. 

Options
2024-08-29 01:37:43

@PatchyFog 

I don't know how everyone is getting the four-way installation, correct. I have four switches altogether. 
The two middle four-way switches I'm leaving as dumb and the two three-way switches I put smart switches on them. The problem is the circle LED is always on and it's not detecting when the actual switches off.

How do I fix this?

Options
2024-08-29 02:23:00

@Chesky-Neuman1 Like everybody else, you keep asking tp-link to produce an actual 4-way switch to replace the "dumb" switches. With enough voices, they might actually listen and produce one.

Options
2024-08-29 04:03:53

@Starbase101 

people have said they figured out how to do it so I'm trying to ask the community to see if there's something that I might've done wrong. Doesn't matter

Options
2024-08-29 04:05:30

@Chesky-Neuman1 

i have one main and two satellites to configure my 4 way switch. They are version 1s because versions 2 will not work. Or at least I couldn't find a way to get them to work. That being said I had to order almost 40 used kits on Amazon which almost all of them were broke until I got working ones. Anyway in a 4 way configuration the led remains lit whether the light is on or off. At least it does for sure on the satellites. I can't remember if that is the same for the main switch. I'll double check tomorrow as I'm away from home. As far as a solution for the leds always on I don't have one. I was just glad to get it working at that point. However inovelli does make a 4 way switch but you have to purchase each switch separately which will get expensive. But a solution nonetheless. Haven't tried them yet as I already replaced my entire house when the inovelli switches were announced. 

Options

Voters 23

+ 19 Voters