Onn 2k stick sees wifi but wont connect

2024-09-13 18:18:34
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have several onn 2k sticks that will not connect to the m5. I did have success in adding to the IoT network that uses only 2.4 but the primary ssid will not connect even if I disable 5Ghz. I have updated all devices to the latest firmware.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Onn 2k stick sees wifi but wont connect
2024-09-13 18:25:52

Hey @oberon23,

The IoT Network, I believe will also use a different encryption method. Check to see if the encryption method for your main network is different from your IoT network. 

By default, the IoT network does not isolate your devices, so connecting the sticks to your IoT network will provide the same experience as your main network.

At what point during setup does the setup fail? Can the device see the main network? What error is given when attempting to connect?

Options
2024-09-13 19:51:40

@Riley_S Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't noticed before but you are correct about the encryption. It looks like IoT supports WPA/WPA2 while the primary network doesn't support WPA. Is there a way to enable that for the Primary network?

As far as the behavior, the Onn stick sees the primary network but will not join saying it can't be found after timing out.

Options
2024-09-13 21:09:10

@oberon23 

From the main screen in the deco app click on More > Wi-Fi Settings > Click on 2.4 Ghz & 5 GHz Network > Advanced > Security 

You should hopeful see the option WPA/WPA2 

Try that and see what happens :) 

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
2024-09-13 22:54:53

@HelpFixDecoApp Thanks. I tried that but it still would not connect to the primary network. I switched back to the iot network and now it is connected but no internet. With next to no real controls available in a web interface, I feel like I am troubleshooting too many unnecessary issues via an app. This is becomming very frusterating.

Also, the nodes seem to load balance incorrectly. I have severl clients connecting to the only ap that is connected via wireless backhaul. These clients are in the room with a wired ap so it makes no sence for them to connect to the wireless backhaul located in by garage. Obviously, they are running much slower due to attuation of the signal for both the node and the backhaul. How is the load balance being calculated for the aps? cpu/memory load, latency, throughput??

Options
2024-09-13 23:35:55

@oberon23 

I understand your concerns regarding both the web UI and the Deco app. I have been in communication with TP-Link for over a month, and while they have addressed some issues, there remains significant progress to be made, in my opinion.

I recommend that you open a support ticket for assistance. You can find information on how to do this in my signature.

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 176

Replies: 5

Related Articles