trying to use an x50 outdoor deco in existing xfinity home network to extend wifi to back yard.

trying to use an x50 outdoor deco in existing xfinity home network to extend wifi to back yard.

2024-08-20 21:35:20 - last edited 2024-08-20 22:48:09
Model: Deco X50 - Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.5

I'm new to the deco line but it seemed like a nice way to extend my wifi as I would like to get it to go a bit further out to my back yard.  I bought the x50 - outdoor wich i'm trying to just use it indoors for now until I can get an actual line out side.  with it sitting by the window just out where I would like the wifi to extend to it may be strong enough as is but I got the outdoor just in case I do need to actually put it out door.  I was able to get it setup just fine however i'm running into an issue.  I also purchased a tp-link 4port poe switch model TL-SF1005P(UN) to power the device.  when I connect the x50 to the swtich I get horrible speeds.  when I speed test i'm getting about 9mbs down.  If I power it via the power cord and connect it directly to my main switch wich is in my basement and provides ethernet throught the house I get great speeds.  I'm wondering why I would be killing my speeds by using this tplink poe switch?

Edit: I plugged the deco in with the provided power cable and connected it to the network via ethernet cable and it seems to be working.  I'm wondering however if i'm setting this up the best way it could be.  Here is the full run down of my setup.  I have a small brick house with a xfinity gig wifi router.  I have ethernet run through out the house but also utilize the wifi where nessesary.  coverage throughout the house is pretty good however we are wanting to get the wifi out to the back yard.  the house is brick and currently the wifi barely gets to the back yard and gets weak quick as you move further from the house.  I bought the x50 outdoor in hopes I can setup it up in the bedroom directly next to where the deck is in hopes it would be powerful enough to extend the wifi without actually needing to drill through my house to get an ethernet cable out there.  I still may do that in the futre but for now I ahve the deco setup just by the window and from my so far limited testing it seems it may be sufficient.  If however i did want to get it outside I would definately want to go the POE rout but the poe swtich I purchased from tp link dosnt seem to work when i connec the deco to it.  it poweres up by my download speeds when using it this way are horrible.  I get like 9mb down.  So I'm not sure what I have wrong there.  Also i'm not sure in my situation what operation mode would be better.  Ive tried both router and AP mode and they both work.  I seem to get better speeds when in router mode.  and i'm assuming only wifi devices connected to the deco would be actually going through that router and not my main xfinity router.  

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:trying to use an x50 outdoor deco in existing xfinity home network to extend wifi to back yard.
2024-08-23 04:34:48

@gec5741 This poe switch is a low speed switch, with a max speed of 100 Mbps.
It is perhaps negociating a speed of 10 Mbps, either with the Deco, either with your main switch.

I would run the Deco in AP mode, certainly if you want to communicate between the devices connected to the Deco and the other devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 133

Replies: 1

Related Articles