Open Security Type when using AP mode

2024-05-13 14:52:50
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just purchased AX3000 with 3 X55. I installed the main device in router mode and named the SSID and gave it a password.  

I tested the other two X55 devices and they worked great in router mode.  Keep in mind that the original ATT router is still functioning well without any changes (passthrough). It has a separate SSID and password.

I switched to AP mode to test the devices because I will be looking to install the X55 devices in separate rooms/buildings about 30 ft apart from each other and am considering running the ISP router (in the main house) and the DECO router (other rooms/buildings) simultainiously. This does not appear to be a recommended operation of the DECO mesh.

Questions

1) In AP mode the additional X55 devices show "security type" Open.  This is problematic. Does each device need to have secuity type setup individualy when in AP mode?  Is the solution to "Hide" the device?

2) If I have the ISP router set to passthrough, and the DECO main in router mode, will the LAN ethernet cable connection for the TV, desktop computer and any other LAN device near the ISP router and the DECO work best if pluged into the ISP router LAN or the DECO main?

3) Is it OK to operate the DECO router in parallel with the ISP router at the same time? Is the interference issue due to the proximity of the routers or some other reason if they are functioning with different SSIDs?

Please point me to a product document that discusses these considerations.

Thanks,

Mike

Options
8 Reply
Re:Open Security Type when using AP mode
2024-05-13 20:02:11 - last edited 2024-05-15 21:29:27

@MichaelSTL 

I don't know what pass-through mode is in ATT router but the general considerations should be:

If your ISP router is in bridge (modem only) mode the Deco should be in router mode.

In this case your wired devices should be connected to Deco ethernet ports.

If your ISP router doesn't support bridge (modem only) mode then Deco should be configured in AP mode to avoid double NAT in your local network.

In this case your wired devices could be connected to either ISP router LAN ports or Deco ethernet ports.

Deco wireless settings in AP mode (or router mode) should be auto-synchronized with the main Deco unit - that's a mesh network by design.

In either case it is recommended to disable ISP router wireless radio to avoid any interference with the Deco mesh.

If you consider using an ethernet backhaul for Deco, you should go through this FAQ.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-05-14 23:58:26

@terziyski I have read the FAQ documents and cannot find the answers to my detailed question. The DECO additional devices are not secured in AP mode.

I don't want to disable my existing fully functioning Wi-Fi modem/router from ATT. I would like to use the DECO as a separate Wi-Fi network. 

thanks for your response

Options
2024-05-16 07:59:46

@MichaelSTL Where precisely do you see the security type of the individual Deco satellites?

Options
2024-05-16 13:14:55

@terziyski I am out of town at the moment but will get back to you with the versions when I get home. 

Options
2024-05-16 13:19:48

@yves_b I opened my home computer (Windows 10) and selected one of the satellites from the displayed available WiFi list. It connected without a security key and the properties showed OPEN security type.

Main unit is still secured in AP mode using the SSID name and key. The other two are OPEN. 

fyi I did not test to see if this was true when the mesh was in router mode. I'm pretty sure the other two satellites did appear on the list though. 

Options
2024-05-16 13:32:46

@MichaelSTL 

Did you configure the two satellites to be part of the same mesh as the main Deco?

The three Decos should jointly offer a single wifi network under a unique SSID.

There is no reason for the satellites to offer a seperate wifi network, and certainly not to accept any connection from any device on such a seperate wifi network.

Options
2024-05-16 14:12:41

@yves_b I am out of town and will do thorough check when I get back home.  

Options
2024-05-24 16:44:40
I finally found the + (plus sign) at the top right of the home network screen and the app configured all the satellites just as advertised. I'm not sure how I missed it during the initial setup. Seems to be working great now. No open hotspots.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 542

Replies: 8

Related Articles