Roku TVs Not Connecting To New Deco W7200 Mesh

2024-05-07 01:48:32
Model: Deco W7200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20231226 Red. 72923

I just replaced a Linksys router that was struggling to cover my entire home with a two node Deco mesh.  I wasn't able to get several Roku TVs to connect to the main WiFI network - they had worked with no issues on the Linksys router.

After much research, i found a string where someone said that they were able to get their Roku TVs to connect to a Deco mesh by connecting them to the Guest network.  I created the Guest network and was able to get the Roku TVs to connect to it.

Can someone explain the reason behind the Roku TVs inability to connect to the main network but its ability to connect to the Guest network?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Roku TVs Not Connecting To New Deco W7200 Mesh
2024-05-08 21:44:45

Hey @Joe_W,

Great Question! There are a few things that can cause the behavior, and adding them to the guest network basically takes all of them out of the equation. A few of which can be found below:

- Your Guest Network can be limited to 2.4GHz, preventing devices from having problems with the 5GHz network.

- The Guest Network is isolated from other devices on your network, avoiding any conflicts with other devices or existing network traffic.

- Devices on the Guest Network do not roam as aggressively and lack many of the features providing a 'seamless' roaming experience.

- The Guest Network has a different SSID; removing the possibility of misconfigured connections or  settings from previous networks of the same name from interfering

I would recommend adding the Rokus to the main network and trying the following settings for your network and in the client settings: Disable Beamforming, Disable Mesh Technology, and Consider Disabling Fast Roaming for the main network. I believe that your model will have all three of these. 

If the devices do not connect to the network at all, you may need to change the security/encryption type of your Wi-Fi to WPA /WPA2

You could also use try the "Client Signal Preference" to try and force the Roku to connect to the closest node, or to force the Roku to connect using a specific frequency.

Options