Backhaul Not working with unique topology

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-07 04:50:51
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 3 Deco X75 and 1 Outdoor Deco X50. 

I have had for years a backhaul to a shed using a Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2 wireless bridge. It's setup as a bridge and can go a really long range. I wanted this network segment to be part of my mesh. So I added a Deco X50. 

Here it the topology:

#1 Main Deco X75 -> TL-SG116 (tplink 16 port switch unmanaged) -> TL-SG108E (tplink 8 port switch)

This 8 port switch has: 

#2 Deco X75

#3 Deco X75 

#1 Ubiquity wireless bridge -> #2 Ubiquity wireless bridge -> TL-SG1005P (tplink 5 port Poe switch)

This switch has that Deco X50

My problem is the outdoor deco won't connect via Ethernet. It has a poor signal to #3 Deco. Which is obviously undesirable. The 3 X75s work great on Ethernet backhaul. They all report that they are connected via Ethernet together. The Deco X50 of course is wireless. 

Where do I begin to solve this? I wish there was a setting to turn off the wireless backhaul. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Backhaul Not working with unique topology
2024-01-07 11:01:55

@Briandpeterson 

Is your Deco running in Router or Access Point mode?

How is the main Deco connected to Internet?

Did you try connecting another device to the TL-SG1005P, perhaps a laptop or another Deco, just to verify the Ethernet connectivity over the wireless bridges?

Did you try connecting the X50 to the TL-SG108E?

Options
2024-01-07 22:57:19 - last edited 2024-01-07 23:01:06

yves_b wrote

@Briandpeterson 

Is your Deco running in Router or Access Point mode?

How is the main Deco connected to Internet?

Did you try connecting another device to the TL-SG1005P, perhaps a laptop or another Deco, just to verify the Ethernet connectivity over the wireless bridges?

Did you try connecting the X50 to the TL-SG108E?

@yves_b 

In the Deco App #1 Main Deco X75 is set as "main". The rest #2, #3 and X50 (the one with the issue) are not set as the main. I assume that means "access point mode"? If not where do I check in the app? 

#1 Main Deco the Internet is connected directly to it. When I set it up first that was what the instructions told me. Then I hooked up the 16 port switch and the rest of the decos. 

TL-SG1005P has a wired IP camera that is working well. 

Things I have tried. I have read a ton on the Ubiquity bridge. They said all traffic should go to both sides in "transparent bridge mode". There are not a ton of settings to tweak. 

TL-SG1005P appears to be an unmanaged POE switch. So there does not seem to be settings to tweak for loopback protection. 

TL-SG108E is managed. #2 and #3 X75 decos are connected to this. I did turn off loopback protection. I also tried having the wireless bridge connected directly to the 16 port switch. When I did that my other two decos immediately noticed the Ethernet was down and switched to wireless backhaul. Trying this did not help X50. When I restored the switch connection back both Decos immediately switched to Ethernet backhaul. 

At this point it's either the TL-SG1005P that's the issue, a bad cable somewhere, or the wireless bridge is somehow making X50 to not do it's detection magic for Ethernet backhaul. It's winter in Iowa, so my enthusiasm to pull it in is low. I am leaving for a work trip this week. So next week I will pull it in. 

I could start doing Wireshark things and sniff traffic. But I think this is a lost cause. From all my research the Deco protocols for backhaul detection is a little bit flawed. I should have researched this. But this is my 3rd wifi ap on this setup just not a magical "mesh". So I guess I will have to switch this to a separate SSID. I doubt this tp link switch is preventing backhaul detection. 

Options
2024-01-08 06:37:41

@Briandpeterson 

The Operation Mode of the Deco network is under the "Advanced" setting.  By default, it is "router".

"TL-SG1005P has a wired IP camera that is working well": it is attached to which Deco?

I assume Deco 2 and Deco 3 both have an Ethernet backhaul connection to the main Deco.

It looks like the presence of the wireless bridge on a switch unexpectedly disturbs the Deco Ethernet backhaul.  You saw that between Deco 2/3 and Deco 1, and with Deco X50.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 429

Replies: 3

Related Articles