Starlink Gen2 + TP Link router + port forwarding to local lan devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-22 19:08:54

Dears, to whom may help a non geek and not skilled net user.

I've bought a gen 2 starlink and it works fine and steadily. Unfortunately with this router I cannot access anymore a couple of devices (ethernet connected house alarm) and a solar inverter whicgh uses a specific port for manufacturer servicing.

I'm trying to understand but the chaos is very bing, being multipled information available and I cannot find clear indications on the best way to proceed.

1. I understand that, for any settings, I've to purchase a router (so I'm here...) and ethernet adapter for starlink, that's fine.
  2. WHich router shall I purchase? I need double separated bands 2.4/5Ghz and medium coverage, no gaming or other very demandign uses (only teams for smart woring and evening NetFLix)
  3. Bypass mode for starlink, OK
  4. Then starts my confusion, I'vre read that considering SL uses CGNAT I cannot access from outside my lan devices. I've got IPV6 too, any I'm not sure my smart devices (alarm and inverter) have ipv6. Can I work around on this with a TP router?
  5. Do I need VPN to solve the above or I could open the ports in the router like with a standard ISP?

Thank you for helping me

Options
3 Reply
Re:Starlink Gen2 + TP Link router + port forwarding to local lan devices
2023-12-23 00:04:09

@Falberto76 

You'd need some more info regarding using a Starlink service with a TP-LInk device, for example:

1.Starlink Port Forwarding: What Is It and How To ByPass CGNAT - <https>://starlinkzone.com/starlink-port-forwarding/
2.How to configure a TP-Link router with a Starlink - details.

3.How to resolve double NAT using Starlink - details.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-12-23 09:59:43

@terziyski Thank you for helping me. 
Since I'm quite a dumb in networks, please kindly allow myself to make specific questions after having accessed the material posted in the links above:

-Therefore I guess I've to purchase a router that support, for instance, PureVPN and making the setting there (With the PureVPN account)

I understand the VPN will route all the traffic and  it might impair the latency for all the data and not only the one  forwarded to the specific devices , anyway I guess smart working with teams should not be affected since we're talking of msecs. Right?

ipv6, I've checked at home that I've a ipv6 with Starlink. I understand I can even work with ipv6 without vpn and continuing using a dynddns service such the one I used with cable ISP ( such was NoIp). Is this assumption right?

In any case the "smart" devices I have (alarm etc that need port Ffwd or be reached from outside) don't have IPv6, but this shouldn't be an issue sine it is the work of the router to route the traffic addressed on specie ports there ,right?

-Setting the Tp link for Starlink. I understand that I should make the setting , before bypassing Starlink Router, otherwise I could not be sure to get a connection. Second I guess that I need also a static route (I've seen some threads) to be able continuing to manage the dish. Right? 

Then , any suggestions for Tp link or Archer router (I even don't get the differences..) capable for:

starlink+VPN+Ipv6

separate bands(2.4 and 5 GHz)

wifi 5 is enough (due to Starlink limits, rights?)

medium coverage (I have also 3 range extender from tp link one capable for mesh mode)

budget cost ( I'm not fanatic of super performances that I couldn't appreciate, rather I'd prefer simple interface with stable and reliable firmware)

Lastly (sorry for many questions) these should be the steps I have to do , if I understand correctly:

1)router setup

2)Starlink bypass

3)static route

3) VPN setting (or Ipv6 setting)

4)single port forwarding to the devices

thank you for assistance,things are getting clearer!

Options
2023-12-23 12:27:49

@Falberto76 

There are KB for configuring Starlink service with a third party (TP-Link) router.

For example - this thread will give some perspective how to configure your router.

If a VPN client should be used here's a list of VPN client supporting devices - these include 2 or 3 wireless bands (Wi-Fi 6).

Keep in mind that TP-Link DDNS service doesn't support IPv6.

Here's a video guide on how to use a third party router to bypass the Starlink router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options